CH26

Continuing Vee's POV:

     I had to stop and get gas at the old 'Pit Stop' which was a mile outside of town. It wasn't that far from my cabin. I had to get back to Nathalie as fast as possible. The longer she's alone the higher the risk of her being caught could be. I didn't even want to think of a possible pack member stopping by and catching a whiff of her scent. Things would be over instantly. I walked into the old store. The only way to pay for gas was at the cashregister inside. I picked up two chocolate candy bars. Telling Nathalie the big news would have to be done by eating chocolate. I paid for the gas and candy bars before heading back out to my car.

     I took the case file with me inside when I got back home. Nathalie was sitting on the couch drinking a can of wolfweiser and watching The Bachelor. I held up the two candy bars I bought and sat down next to her. I threw the case file down on the coffee table. "Hey sweetie," I sighed out.

     "Hey~" She gave me a huge smile. I handed her the one I bought for her. She looked it over in surprise before looking delighted. "Thank you... I didn't think you'd bring me back something on your trip into town. This means a lot to me." It was really nothing. Getting gas was on my to-do list. These just happened to be a bonus. The chocolate was a good choice."So, what did you find out about Josephine?"

     "It's not good," I told her. "She's in jail. They got her in there for failing a polygraph test. They're not allowing visitors but I snuck in to see her. Also... They found your car. Matthew put me on the job to find whoever is tresspassing. Nobody knows it's you."

     "Damn..." She trailed off as she put the beer down and opened up her candy bar to start eating it. "Is that what the file is?" She asked and pointed towards the table. I nodded and leaned back. I opened the candy bar too and started to eat it. Luckily neither of us are alergic to cocoa beans. I could never part with chocolate. "Why would they trust a polygraph test? Aren't those things outlawed now? They can't even hold up in court."

     "They're allowing it. Matthew said he'd look further into it before executing her. I mean she is his niece after all."

     "Do you think Jossie will get out of it?" She asked nervously. "She's innocent. There's no way she did any of it." I knew she was right but I wanted to test her faith in Josephine.

     "How are you so certain?"

     "She told me and I believe her."

     "She doesn't seem like the type to do it," I agreed. "We better get her out of there." I pulled out my phone then as I remembered the phone number I got from the rogue. "While I was visiting her... She happened to be right across from the rogue I brought in..."

     "The.... rogue... You are talking about the same one that was here when Josephine's dad died?" She asked to make sure. I guess we should start calling him by his name but I haven't entirely learned it by now.

     "Yes... That rogue gave me his father's number."

       "No way. No way are we calling it."

     "I think it's a good option... if we're going to break Josephine out. The pack is something we could fall back on. We could call and set up a safe travel into the territory."

     "But were not certain he's trustworthy... Or any of the rogue pack being trustworthy. They're rogues for a reason," she said quickly.

     "If you take her home with you... Can you promise her refuge in your pack's land?"

     "I'd have to talk with my Alpha."
That's a no.