The Beginning

Thebes, City of the Living, crown jewel of Pharaoh Seti the First... home of Imhotep, Pharaoh's high priest...  keeper of the dead... birthplace of Anck-su-namun, Pharaoh's mistress. 

No other man was allowed to touch her. 

But for their love, they were willing to risk life itself. 

To resurrect Anck-su-namun... Imhotep and his priests broke into her crypt and stole her body. 

They raced deep into the desert... taking Anck-su-namun's corpse to Hamunaptra, City of the Dead... ancient burial site for the sons of pharaohs... and resting place for the wealth of Egypt. 

For his love, Imhotep dared the gods' anger by going deep into the city... where he took the black Book of the Dead from its holy resting place. 

Anck-su-namun's soul had been sent to the dark underworld... her vital organs removed and placed in five sacred canopic jars. 

Anck-su-namun's soul had come back from the dead. 

But Pharaoh's bodyguards had followed Imhotep and stopped him... before the ritual could be completed. 

Imhotep's priests were condemned to be mummified alive. 

As for Imhotep... he was condemned to endure the Hom-Dai... the worst of alI ancient curses... one so horrible it had never before been bestowed.

He was to remain sealed inside his sarcophagus- the undead for alI of eternity.

The Medgai would never allow him to be released... for he would arise a walking disease, a plague upon mankind... an unholy flesh eater with the strength of ages... power over the sands... and the glory of invincibility.

I read the print of the ancient times as I have my legs pulled up to my side while sitting under a palm tree near the desert in a skirt and blouse while my parasol is opened to keep me away from the heat. I softly smile while turning the page carefully, tucking dark brown hair behind my ear as I read. I know that it feels like a myth all this Egyptian history. 

Still, I feel it down in my gut that it is out there somewhere, which scares me a little if it is real, but I wish to discover its secrets and dwell on the mystery of what happened that night. I sigh as I finish the paragraph with me, leaning back in the palm tree and closing my eyes as I pick at my bracelet. It was a gift from my mother when I was a small child. She was from Egypt at one point, but having something that belonged to her makes my heart swell in happiness that I am connected to this place. 

I pack up my little sitting spot to walk to the museum where my loving twin sister works. She is a fantastic girl but a little clumsy, but at least she is better than our brother, a complete idiot and a swindler. As I entered the library, I stopped short to hear the museum director telling my twin off for something she must have done again, "You... are a catastrophe! Look at my library! Why do I put up with you?" Dr Terrence Bey complains that I shake my head at him as I enter with me, closing my parasol to see the mess my twin made, which looks like dominos that fell over, "Well, you put up with her, Dr Bey." I was saying as I entered for Evie to look at me with her, happy to see me. 

Still, the museum director looks at me in shock that I am here because I am usually off at dig sites looking for things for this museum, "Lizzy", Evie breathes out in happiness for me to stand in front of the director. In contrast, Evie stands behind me, "its because she can read and write ancient Egyptian and she can decipher hieroglyphics and hieratic, and she is the only person in a thousand miles who actally knows how to code and catalogue this library properly, that is why you have her here, Dr Bey" I answer in a matter fact voice for him to frown at me, I am not his biggest fan, but we don't talk about that.