REVELATION 8.1

Saturday, I'd planned to spend studying, anything to distract my mind, but focus never came. Instead, I passed out for a few hours of sleep at my desk that afternoon. It wasn't the most comfortable rest I'd ever had; my neck and back ached when I woke up. Still, some sleep was better than none, so I stretched and hopped in a hot shower to console my muscles. Come nightfall, I was back at the Omen.

The air between myself and Lindsay was a little tense at first, but Theresa had told her to get over what happened, saying that she had it coming and that she shouldn't have assumed that Cole couldn't have been interested in me. Lindsay had offered an awkward and barely sincere apology. She wasn't very good at apologising; being the spoiled only daughter of wealthy parents, she was used to getting what she wanted. Lindsay, a classically trained pianist, was competitive to a fault and a sore loser, but now wasn't the time for me to start severing friendships. I couldn't afford to lose the few people I had close when I was being hunted. So, even though I was still hurt, I forgot about it but didn't necessarily forgive her.

The night passed, and we did the usual things: dancing, drinking and having a laugh, but when it came time for everyone to turn out at two AM, I stopped dead in my tracks as I exited the club's front doors. Parked directly across the street sat the blue hatchback. It had been there before, but what was so striking about its appearance this time was that its mysterious driver wasn't sitting behind the steering wheel, watching me from out the window. No, he stood leaning against the car door, clothed in all black and smoking. His hooded head drooped down when he glanced at his watch. Checking the time like he'd been waiting. Waiting for me...

Flicking away his cigarette, his hips lifted from the exterior of the car's door. I didn't wait to see if he was about to cross the road and come closer to me. I turned on my heels, meaning to escape however I could. When Theresa grabbed my jacket with a confused look, I hurriedly explained that I had lost my phone inside the club and was returning to see if I could find it. 

Still confused, she shouted after me, "Do you want us to wait?" even though Lindsay was already half in the taxi. 

From the club's foyer, I waved her off, feigning nonchalance. "No, no, you get on home. I could be ages. Bye."

As the club emptied, I was relieved to make it across the dance floor and to the bar in time to catch Cole clocking off. Slamming my shaking hands down onto the black granite bar got his attention. I had no idea what the look on my face must have been like, but inside I was hysterical.

"Meet me where we were last night." 

With my invite made, I disappeared and skittered off towards the cleaning closet. This time, I'd used my phone to light up the small space while I waited for him. I wasn't alone for long; the door creaked open, and in slipped a befuddled-looking Cole. 

"Ana, what's going on?" He asked the second the door was closed behind him. Although the room was cramped, he didn't approach me, but he was inevitably only a few feet away, even with his back pressed against the door.

"You wanted to know what's been wrong with me?" I started but paused to gauge his facial expression and reaction before I continued. Concern had lowered his brow in caution but warmed his hazel eyes, which oozed compassion. Tentatively, he nodded, encouraging me to go on. 

"I'm being stalked," I blurted. "I'm being followed by a car. For over a month. It follows me everywhere. Whenever I'm out, wherever I go, it's there. In the background, just waiting. I don't know what he wants." Explaining, flustered, my words rushed from my lips so quickly it was a wonder he caught what I'd said. "When I left to go home, he was parked out front waiting for me. He wasn't watching me through the window like before; this time, he was outside the car."