🏀 ELEVEN

When Sasha returned to school that following Monday, she was met with an overwhelming amount of love

When Sasha returned to school that following Monday, she was met with an overwhelming amount of love. She couldn't take two steps without someone congratulating her or calling her the goat of Fels. It felt surreal. Her popularity had skyrocketed - including on social media. If this was just the beginning of success, Sasha couldn't imagine what it would be like when she really made it.

Even with everything going so well, things back at home were weird. Joseph showed up demanding a divorce and joint custody of all the kids. He wanted to keep them every weekend, and Sasha figured it had everything to do with his fiancée. Her father was the ultimate manipulator. It wasn't a surprise that he was pretending to care about them for the sake of his relationship, because what sane woman would want a deadbeat as a husband? Sasha knew the game.

Either way, Myda folded. She spent all of twenty minutes arguing with her estranged husband before throwing up her hands and granting him whatever he pleased. Sasha could tell that her mother was tired of fighting.

That glimmer of happiness that danced in her eyes just days before was now gone. She had gone from tolerable, almost likable, to dreadful. Sasha needed a break from her mother's break up blues, so she planned on staying late after practice to run a few drills on her own.

Now that the spotlight was on her, the pressure was on.

Before she headed to class, Sasha stopped at her locker to grab her AA-Lit book.

      "Hey girl," Shamira, her twin brother's ex-girlfriend, rested against the lockers beside her.
She offered a nod. "What's up?"

"Have you seen your brother? He's been dodging me after I told him my parents wanted to meet your family," she said. "My dad said we'll be knocking on your door if he doesn't come out of hiding."

Shamira rubbed on her stomach, which was no longer a secret since it was growing too big to hide. Sasha couldn't believe that Quan had gotten a girl pregnant within the first few months of them arriving in Philly. Knowing her brother, he was shitting bricks now that things were closing in. Shamira wasn't budging when it came to him stepping up to the plate.

"Sorry, no." Sasha shut her locker. "He left without me this morning. I'll tell him what you said."

"Thanks," Shamira sighed.

Saved by the bell, they ended the conversation on that note and headed to class.

Wherever Quan was, he'd better hope Sasha found him before Shamira's dad did.

🏀🏀🏀🏀

Quan silenced his phone that had been constantly ringing since he dipped out of Fel's before the first period even began. It was back to back notifications from both Sasha and Shamira; he didn't know what his sister wanted, but he knew exactly why Shamira was blowing him up.
Her parents were demanding to meet not only him, but his parents too.