🏀 SIX

"Ay! You do know that people actually like to sleep right!"

Sasha glanced up at the window above the garage to see Quan's head poking out.

"Sorry, I have to practice." She continued to dribble the ball despite his objection, leaving him to shake his head and slam his bedroom window shut.

It had been two stressful weeks since meeting Colleen - the scout that was hopefully going to pull through on getting Sasha accepted into the UCLA basketball program. She knew that she had to do the work, proving to be just as good as Coach had put on. That meant non-stop practicing and exercise, perfecting her craft even in the very bitter winter weather.

As she took a break to stretch her cramped, cold fingers, she could hear the sound of boots imprinting the fresh morning snow, curling from the front of the house.

"Sasha, it's like seven a.m." Quan yawned, tucking his hands deep into his coat pockets, "There's a thing called overworking."

Sasha shook her head, dusting the ball of snow before pounding it against the ground once more, "Not in my mind. The only way I can get better is if I train non stop. I'm already small, people underestimate me. I have to prove -"

"Where is all this coming from?" he interrupted her rambling, "Fels is undefeated right now, shit I'm impressed. I heard last year they won like two games and even that was close."

"This isn't about high school ball" she snickered, "I wasn't going to say anything because y'know, I don't want to jinx it...But I spoke with a college scout a few weeks ago, she's coming to see me at the next game."

Quan's eyes widened, "Wow, that's wassup. What college?"

"UCLA." Sasha beamed. Quan was even more floored, as he replied, "That's big. Well then let me shut my ass up then, you definitely need to make sure you're on your game."

"I told you. Want to play a quick one on one?"

"Outside, no." He laughed, "But we can go to the Y once mom gets home."

Sasha was satisfied with that. Quan was right, it was freezing out despite her body heat that kept her temporarily warm. Deciding to call it for the time being, she began to retreat back to the front of the house.

"So you hear anything from the cops? Last time was a close call, now Ty is grounded instead of you." said Sasha, thinking back on the night she was sure her twin brother would be hauled off to jail. She had the wrong brother. Ty had definitely been acting up since Joseph was out of the picture, he was the closest to his estranged father, whereas his older siblings seemed as though they couldn't care less about their broken family.

"Nope. So I'm taking the no news, as good news." Quan snorted.

Sasha pushed open the front door, toeing off her sneakers as she replied, "I hear that."