🏀 THREE

Chapter Three - Back to school

Chapter Three -
Back to school

Lil Baby's All In blasted through the speakers of Zay's all black Audi as he pulled into the packed school parking lot. It was the first day back from winter break, the short two weeks feeling longer than it actually was. For Zay it did anyway, since he spent most of the time in a bad mood due to his Father's secrets that were still eating at him.

Finding out about his mother and her new life across the country was the worst way to begin his predictably epic break - epically bad that is. While his home always had a silence to it, it became eerie and awkward whenever William was home. Granted, they never were that close - but it seemed as though now and days they were complete strangers. William hadn't even been on his son about basketball, whereas usually this would be the time of the year he would be training the most.

Everything was different. Almost, everything. Just as always, William didn't hesitate to spend a significant amount of money on his son. What he lacked in the emotional department, he made up financially. This year to overcompensate, he purchased Zay a new 2019 Audi - black interior and exterior with all the bells and whistles. Christmas morning he hadn't even been home, but made sure to leave the keys and a note at the kitchen table.

Merry Xmas,

Love you son. Enjoy.

Dad

Love you son? Zay scoffed reading that. How could he love him and hide such a life altering secret like that? That wasn't love. It was manipulation.

As he hopped out of his new wheel, he could feel eyes attached to him - but that was nothing new. It also didn't feel as good as it used to, since the first time in his life Zay just wanted to lay low and not be seen.

"Ayyy, Bro this jawn crazy" Josh exclaimed as he approached his best friend, "We out after school!?"

The two slapped hands. "Nigga, we got practice after school. That's the only place I'm taking my ass."

"I feel you on that, you ready for the season to start? Gotta slow down on the bud if you want to catch up with me." He cockily smirked, causing Zay to flag him dismissively.

"Yeah whatever nigga, where the fuck B at? He's the only person I know that lives around the corner and still be late."

B could literally walk to school; he lived so close, but that never stopped him from strolling in way past advisory time. Zay on the other hand was usually an early bird, making it in time for breakfast where he never ate - just socialized.

"You know him, he's not late until first period starts." Josh laughed.

The friends poured into the school lobby - past the security scanners and being patted down as if they were in a prison or airport although it had been neither. Grabbing his backpack off the conveyor belt, Zay followed behind Josh into the cafeteria.