t h r e e

DINNER WAS ALL BUT NOISY.

Although, I sat by myself. I always did.

I wasn't emotionally prepared to be in Malfoy's company once more. I didn't want him to know anything about me. Reluctantly getting up when I saw Malfoy had gathered the first year Slytherins at the Great Hall's doors, we began walking to the dungeons. 

Unfortunately, the pureblood wouldn't stop talking, and already it was getting on my nerves. The only good thing was hearing and seeing the wonder the first years had of Hogwarts. I hadn't realised how small they were. The corridors got darker as we descended into the dungeons. I wondered how many of them would react. 

Hopefully none of them are afraid of the dark. 

When we finally reached the painting of Salazar Slytherin, Malfoy clearly pronounced the password. 

"Pureblood." It swung open, we led the 11 year old's inside. 

"The password changes every week," He begun, "so make sure you check what it is on the billboard. I'm one of your prefects; Abraxas Malfoy, and this here is Vega Black. If you ever need any help, we're here. The common room is a place for you to hang out, but don't invite anyone in unless they are a Slytherin. Lights are out at 7, but if you're quiet; no one will know if you're up or not." He winked. "You're belongings are already in your dorms, and one of us with show you the way to breakfast in the morning. Goodnight." 

With that, the children rushed up the stairs leaving Malfoy and I alone. I sat down on the green couch next to me, as he rested against the arm of it. 

"I'll show them to the Great Hall in the morning." Malfoy told me, running a hand through his messy blonde hair. 

"Okay." 

For some odd reason, he continued looking at me. I met his gaze, his eyes the palest blue they almost seemed grey. Similar to mine, yet at the same time, so different. 

"Um, goodnight Malfoy." I said, getting up and heading to the stairs. 

"Abraxas." he called out.

"What?" I asked, turning to face him. He walked over to me, getting closer and closer by the second. He stopped only an arm length away. 

"Call me Abraxas, 'Malfoy' makes me seem old." He chuckled.

"I... don't think that's appropriate." 

"What's stopping you?"

"Self-dignity, and the lasting of my reputation, Malfoy." I instantly responded. 

He laughed, "It's still Abraxas, lil' black." Shockingly, he took my hand in his own (which was softer than expected), bringing it to his lips. I swear my heat stopped beating for a second. Then, he kissed it lightly, and let it go. 

"Goodnight lil' black." He winked as he past me and walked up the boys stairs, leaving me shell shocked. 

"Goodnight." I replied quietly.

What the hell just happened...

Shaking myself, I walked to my dorm, which I was lucky enough to only share with one other girl. However, that other girl just happened to be Walburga Black. There wasn't anything wrong with her - everyone is subject to their own opinions, her's on mudbloods were simply, more vocal, than my own. In all honesty, she was a poised girl, with strong beliefs, and a demanding attitude. But I liked her strength. 

She was, you could say, betrothed to my brother. It wasn't publicly announced, it was common knowledge in the pureblood society. Part of what I hated about the society I was born into was the arranged marriages.

Just at that moment, the door to our dorm opened, and the darkhaired beauty walked in. 

"Oh, Vega!" She exclaimed, coming over and sitting next to me, taking my hands in her own, "There you are. Orion told me how you became Prefect - well done. It wasn't any surprise Abraxas was chosen, and Tom for Head Boy. I believe everyone was expecting it. Anyway, I must prepare for bed, I was talking to the boys downstairs for too long. Speaking of which, Orion mentioned having to talk to you soon." 

She fluttered between topics like a bee to flowers. Leaving me to by thoughts, she went to the bathroom with a regal stride. 

The next morning, I got up and readied myself for the first day of school. Walburga was already awake, sat in front of her dresser as she did her long hair in a complicated style. Throughout moving around the dorm, I felt her eyes on me, get ignored the feeling. Finally, I picked up the Prefect badge, holding it between my fingers. 

"You should be proud." She spoke out, looking at me through the reflection of the mirror. 

"I suppose I am. I just wonder why Professor Slughorn chose me. Most people don't know I exist. Just ask Lestrange; he only found out on the train yesterday." I smiled bitterly. 

"Vega," she sighed like everything I said was wrong, "you are special. You're a Black, you're gorgeous - your features making you unique, you're grades are impeccable, the list goes on. You need to start believing that you are worth it. So," she stood, walking over to me, "clip that badge on, and own it."

"Thank you Walburga." I smiled as she attached the green badge to my clothes. 

"Of course. What are future sister-in-laws for?" She joked. "Now, we're both ready. So, let's go eat and start the day."