s e v e n

THE INSTANT I RESPONDED, MY FATE WAS SEALED. 

"I'd  love to."

Lestrange cheered from the opposite side of the table, Walburga placing a hand on my shoulder in a friendly manner. I noticed my fellow Slytherins looking away, knowing a few were probably planning what to write to their families already. But it was Abraxas that I remained focused on. 

For once, a smile bloomed on his lips, squeezing my hand slightly before letting it fall. Part of me wanted to ask him to hold it again, and to sit next to me now - but I quickly dismissed those thoughts. He made his way back to his seat, and although I felt his gaze on me for the remainder of the meal, I didn't meet it. 

I know it may have been slightly wrong of me to do so, but I admit I ran for my dorm when the day was over. I couldn't deal with seeing Abraxas, and I most certainly did not want to talk to him. When I'd reached the common room, my fellow Slytherin's already had quill and paper out. 

Great. Just great.  

Not only had I accepted to attend the Slug Club's party with a boy - Abraxas none the less - now my actions were being documented. The thought of receiving a letter from my parents the next morning made my head spin. 

I hurried upstairs, slamming the door to my dorm shut. Sliding down the wall, I held my head as pounding echoed within it. Eyes squeezed shut, my chest rose and fell rapidly. 

Why? Why, why why?

Everything had gone so wrong so fast. 

By the time Walburga strut through the door, my face was dry, eyes no longer red and puffy, and breathing returned to normal. 

"Don't say you're hiding from Abraxas." She dark-haired beauty smirked, resting against the pole at the end of my bed. I put my pen down, stopping writing the essay for Charms. 

"I'm not hiding from Abraxas."

She let out a laugh, "Don't lie Vega. Even Reinhard believes you are - and he's as dumb as a Hufflepuff!"

I let out a deep breath, knowing it would be futile to deny it any further. 

"Fine. I'm hiding from him."

Walburga settled comfortably on my bed, lying on her belly as she looked up at me with a smile. 

"See? That wasn't so hard. So, why are you hiding?"

I fiddled with my fingers, bringing my legs up to my chest as I lent back on the pillows behind me. 

"He'll bring up the party."

"That's it? Vega, all you need to do is get dressed up and play the part of an intelligent, beautiful, pureblood woman. And you tick all the boxes."

My lips twitched up at her words, "Thank you. But, the part I'm avoiding is walking through the doors on Abraxas's arm. I've never even gone on a-"

"-date?" Walburga guessed, causing me to nod. "You barely even need to talk to him if you don't want to. My lips are sealed! I'm sure that if you don't take up his offer at the end of the night to shag in a broom closet he'll find another naïve victim."

My cheeks heated up, the girl before me cackling at my reaction. 

"Not funny!" 

"Definitely funny! You should have seen your face! Anyways, its not like you have to marry Abraxas, it's one date. If you like it, go on another one - perhaps to Hogsmeade, and if you don't, then agree to be friends." 

"I'd never go on another date with him. I've only known him for a little while - and he didn't even know of my existence before that! Besides, he'd have to like me in return to agree on another date."

She smirked, "You needn't worry about that - I've seen the way he is around you. He'll fall head over heels with you before the Christmas Holidays."

"Then he'll be falling by himself, then waking up to the cruel nature of reality."  I decided. 

"You have to have noticed his flirting!"

I scoffed with a smile, "Abraxas would flirt with a leaf if he wanted to."

"Then you'd have become a leaf ." Walburga responded, smiling. 

"Hilarious." I murmured dryly. 

"I know, I am. Anyway, I'm going to have a shower now, and leave you to daydream about a certain Malfoy." She winked getting up and closing the door to the bathroom behind her. 

Daydream. Right. The only reason I'd dream about him is if I actually liked him - Merlin forbid!