s i x

ABRAXAS'S WORDS DWELLED IN MY MIND. 

"But why fit in, when you were born to stand out?"

If I hadn't been interrupted, and had the chance to respond, I had no idea what I'd have said. I might have mentioned something about-.... 

I probably would've changed the subject. 

"Miss Black?" 

I was knocked out of my thoughts. At the front of the classroom, Professor Dumbledore stood, resting against his table and looking at me. I felt my peers gazes on me. 

"Excuse me Professor?"

"Can you name the three unforgivable curses?" He patiently restated. 

"The Killing curse; Avada Kedavra. The Cruciatus curse; Crucio. And the Imperius curse; Imperio." 

He raised an eyebrow, "Impressive. But next time, please pay attention in class, Miss Black."

My teeth bit the inside of my mouth as I heard a few snickers. Of course he would be the one teacher not to favour Slytherins. 

"It's my fault, Professor." 

Eyes widening, I turned to face Abraxas. 

"Mr Malfoy?" Professor Dumbledore questioned. 

"We were patrolling the corridors last night, as we caught more than a few students out of bed, we had to supervise that they reached their common rooms safely." He explained, before joking slightly, "First years, you know? Not one to listen to rules."

The class laughed, whilst I noticed the Professor's gaze rest on him a moment longer before nodding. 

"Fair enough." He responded to Abraxas, turning to me, "Ensure you sleep after patrolling in the future, Miss Black."

I nodded, "Of course, Professor."

 He continued teaching, and I began to take notes. Still, my mind was once again preoccupied. 

Why would Abraxas defend me?

My the time class finished, I was more than willing to pack up and leave. As I walked out, I noticed Abraxas leaning against the wall. 

"Lil' black." He greeted, falling in step beside me.

"Thank you for... what happened in class." 

His jaw fell open jokingly, "A 'thank you'! I believe we have progressed into the second stage of friendship."

"There's steps now?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"Mmm. First is labelling being friends, second; publicly defending each other, third; being completely and utterly at ease with each other, fourth; being on a touching-prone basis, and so on."

"You made that up just then, didn't you?"

"Yup." I laughed at his simple response. 

"Ah-ha!" He smirked, "At ease with each other! Step three completed."

 "So quickly? I don't think step four will be completed any time soon."

He smirked, "We'll see."

Silence enveloped us as we continued walking through the corridors. It was somewhat easy to feel comfortable with him, even though we'd only started conversing a day or so ago. He was surrounded by a... charismatic aura.