Chapter 11

"Nice alpaca, Yunho." Yunho glares at Mingi and covers his picture. "It's a dog," he hisses. "Asshole." Wooyoung's pencil brushes over the page, shading more than creating rough, sharp edges. The class is, just as he'd wanted, fun. It's not exactly challenging for him, the way it is for, say, Yunho, but it's still enjoyable. And it's only for an hour and a half twice a week, which isn't fucking with his schedule as much as he'd worried it would. Plus, he gets to spend the whole time at a table with Yunho and Mingi, laughing at Yunho's failed attempts at drawing, encouraging Mingi's hesitant but fairly talented works. Trying to ignore the fact that San's sitting right beside him.

San is as hopeless as Yunho. He'd looked completely lost through the original instructions and the demo. He'd looked lost when the art student that was assigned to help them with this part of the class tried to help him. He's possibly worse than Yunho, actually, but where Yunho gets annoyed and snappish, San gets... pouty and frustrated. "This is so stupid," San mutters. Wooyoung sneers at him. "Just because you're not good at it doesn't make it stupid." "Easy for you to say," San grumbles. "I can actually tell what yours is supposed to be. I'm helpless."

It's true. One hundred percent true. Even the instructor had attempted to help San before making a face and wandering off when she realized there was no helping him. Whatever he's drawing right now, it looks like a sort of lopsided blob with a nose. Or he thinks that's a nose. It could very well be a penis. "I agree with San," Yunho decides. He puts down his pencil. "Drawing is stupid. I can't wait until Monday when we start sculpting." "It's not completely stupid," Mingi argues. "I mean, not completely, right?" Yunho grabs Mingi's picture from him, holding it up to his face. "Okay, not completely," he relents. "But that's because you're talented. Really talented, Mingi. We're hanging this up in the room, in fact. Maybe we'll put it on the door next to the whiteboard, for everyone to appreciate." Mingi beams.

Wooyoung looks at the picture, opens his mouth, and Yunho kicks him under the table before he can say anything. Not that Wooyoung would say something bad. It's not a bad drawing at all. It's fairly good, for someone who walked in here with no knowledge of what they were doing. But it's not exactly good enough to warrant Yunho's reaction to it.

San makes an annoyed sound and scratches his pencil harshly across his paper, scribbling out the practise drawings they'd been instructed to work on. "Stop thinking so much," Wooyoung finds himself saying to San. "You're trying so hard to be perfect at it, but that's not going to just happen." San looks up at him, lips parted. He shakes his head and the look disappears. "I'm terrible at it, and I'm sure you know and you're just waiting for the right time to laugh at me about it." Why does that make him feel bad? "You are terrible," Wooyoung admits, and San's eyes narrow. "No worse than Yunho, though." "Rude," Yunho says from across the table. "Factual, but rude."

That doesn't seem to help San, who drops his pencil onto the table. "It's humiliating," he says. "I'm not just bad, it's-" Wooyoung grabs a new piece of paper and shoves it at him. "So start over." San gingerly takes the paper from him. "Did you honestly think you could just, like, pick up a pencil and magically be perfect at it?" "Maybe," San admits. "If I'm not good at it the first time around, I probably won't ever be. I'm shit at learning things." Wooyoung snorts before he can stop himself. "That's not surprising at all."

Wooyoung is busy focusing on his drawing of a bird to see the look on San's face, but he doesn't miss San's low, annoyed, "Right. This is just another thing that makes you better than me." Finally Wooyoung looks but San's got his eyes on his own paper now, focusing with his eyebrows drawn and his bottom lip sucked into his mouth. Wooyoung isn't sure how to reply to that comment, so he doesn't. He goes back to drawing, San continues to work on his own, and Yunho keeps praising Mingi while making lame attempts at creating something on his own page.

Eventually the instructor comes back around. She smiles pleasantly at Mingi, wrinkles her forehead at Yunho's dog that honestly does look more like an alpaca than anything, and then compliments Wooyoung's birds before moving on to San. San, who's had his picture covered for the last twenty minutes, arm blocking Wooyoung from being able to see. Now, the instructor picks it up, and San's eyes stay on the table as she looks it over before flicking her gaze to Wooyoung. "The shape of his face is fairly accurate," she says. "With a bit more practise, this could be great." San's eyes go wide and he takes the picture back from her before stuffing it hastily into his pocket. When she walks off, he pushes away from the table and heads for the door, Wooyoung staring after him.

"What did I miss?" Yunho asks, looking between Wooyoung and the door. Mingi keeps drawing, but he says with a grin on his face, "San was secretly drawing Wooyoung and he didn't want anyone to know, but our teacher called him out on it and now he's stomped off because he's embarrassed." His tongue sticks out between his teeth, eyes scanning his own paper. "Do you really think this is good?" "It's wonderful," Yunho says automatically, but his eyes are on Wooyoung, the look on his face one Wooyoung doesn't fully understand.

"That's not what he's upset about," Wooyoung mumbles. "And he wasn't drawing me. He's just pissy because he has a game coming up. That's how he always gets." "Speaking of which," Yunho says. "You're coming to that game with us." "No, I'm not," Wooyoung says. "You know that I don't-" "Look." Yunho splays his hands flat on the table and gives Wooyoung this look, one that says not to argue. "He joined this stupid class for you, the least you could do is attend one of his games." Wooyoung's mouth falls open. "He didn't join this class for me!" he protests.

"Please keep it down in the back," comes from the front of the room. Wooyoung flushes red and lowers his voice, hissing, "He joined it to piss me off, that's all," while glaring at Yunho. "Same difference," Yunho says. "Go to his game to piss him off, then. But you're going." "I have homework," Wooyoung argues. "I don't have time." "You can take a few hours out of your time at the library," Yunho says, an air of finality in his words that says that Wooyoung will seriously regret arguing this. And that he'll drag Wooyoung to the game anyway, even if he doesn't want to go. "Fine," Wooyoung snaps. "But I'm bringing my book with me. I'll read while you guys watch. "Deal," Yunho says happily.

"Maybe I'll drop out of school and become a street artist," Mingi says, as if he hadn't heard a word of that argument. Yunho and Wooyoung both snort at him.