The Shadow's Dance

"Husk um..." Charlie leaned against the bar and pointed across the room, "Is it just me, or is Alastor acting weird?"

"Oh no, not at all." The cat's voice dripped with sarcasm as he took a swig from his bottle. He was also looking at where the deer sat, reading a letter he just received.

It wasn't really Alastor acting strange, but his shadow was acting all out of sorts. It seemed to be incredibly joyful, spinning and gliding across the wall behind the Radio Demon. It flipped through the air, and seemed to be laughing through a wide grin that covered the lower half of its face. They had never seem Alastor's shadow act so unlike the deer they knew, and seeing how the shadow displayed such emotion made them stare in shock. Of course, none of them knew the shadow was just projecting the emotion Alastor was keeping hidden inside.

"Should I ask him about it?"

"You really think he'd give you a straight answer?"

"It's worth a shot-"

"Whatever, Princess." Husk rolled his eyes and downed the rest of his bottle, then tosses it away for a new one, "Don't be surprised when he lies to your face."

Charlie rolled her eyes and made her way over to where Alastor sat. She knew Husk was most likely right about Alastor brushing her off, but she was going to ask anyway. She couldn't help but wonder if maybe whatever this strange behavior fro, his shadow was could help her understand the deer a bit better.

"Why hello there, Charlie dear!" Alastor exclaimed with a bright smile.

"Hello Al." Charlie smiled and sat across from the deer, "I had a question I wanted to ask."

"Ask away, darling~" Alastor leaned back a bit in his chair, relaxing in his usual, confident way.

"Your shadow um...does it do that often?" Charlie pointed to the shadow still dancing behind Alastor's chair. As soon as Alastor had taken notice, he lapsed into one of those rare moments where he was caught off guard. The shadow seemed to notice Alastor now starring and stopped dead, and gave a shrug before zipping off and down the hall.

"You get back here!" Alastor got up, furious as he stormed after his shadow, the letter he was reading temporarily forgotten.

"...Charlie, you shouldn't-" The princess muttered to herself as she looked at the abandoned letter, her curiosity gnawing at her from the inside.

Who was this mysterious letter from? Who could have written to Alastor that had made his shadow act so strange? Was it something dark and horrible that Alastor found amusing that Charlie herself would feel sick finding out? Questions ran through Charlie's head a mile a minute, making that gnawing feeling grow and grow. She couldn't go and ask Vaggie about it because Vaggie would just get incredibly suspicious, Husk had already proved to be of little help, she doubted Nifty would be able to provide much more help than that, and Angel Dust had only met Alastor a few weeks ago, so he'd have no way of knowing anything.

"Oh...sorry, Al-" Charlie snatched up the letter and started to read it as Kikee jumped up into he lap.

Dear, Alastor
I would absolutely love to come see this new business venture if yours! Just give me a little time to check my calendar, and I'll let you know when I'm free. Running your own business keep you pretty busy, after all. I'm sure by now you're starting to learn that. Anyways, I can't wait to come see you!
Love, Mimzy