Chapter 04 • A New Deliverer

˖°

˖°.𓆩𓆪 .°˖

"Seeing the look in your face, I can tell how uncomfortable you are around me," he told her. Masyado itong straightforward. "If you feel that way, then be honest."

"Tama ka. Hindi nga ako naging komportable sa 'yo," kalmadong tugon naman ni Acushla. She's been waiting to converse with Asahel about dito. Hindi siya galit. She's just being honest. And she liked his honesty as well.

Asahel felt a slight pain in his chest. Hindi niya inakalang mas straightforward pala ito.

She cleared her throat and gulped her anxiety. "But I hope you didn't misunderstand me. It doesn't mean I don't like you." She raised her palms and quickly waved them from side to side.

"So bakit hindi ka komportable sa presensiya ko?" He hissed, then shook his head. "Nevermind."

It's as if he already knew the reasons. Acushla wasn't the first person to feel uncomfortable in his presence. Sanay na sanay na siya. People tend to distance themselves away from him, when all he was longing for was a comrade.

"I just got so scared when you tightly held my arms. At saka, you were intently looking at my chest. What were you thinking that day?" He's odd. Acushla pursed her lips while exchanging stares with him. Paminsan-minsa'y ibinabaling na lang niya ang tingin sa sahig ng daan.

About her chest, should he tell her? She might not believe him that her heart, even Nayeli's, are literally giving off an exquisite bright light. Who wouldn't be astounded? But he didn't want her to think he's out of his mind.

"Wala lang siguro ako sa tamang huwisyo no'n. I'm sorry," he said.

Napangiti si Acushla nang malamang marunong naman pala itong mag-sorry. "Siguro nga. Kung gano'n, apology accepted!" wika niya. She was relieved.

Acushla just shrugged it off and brought a fresh topic to talk about. "Pasensiya ka na. Iniisip mo siguro na ayaw ko sa 'yo."

"Ayos lang. Wala naman akong pakialam."

She just tee-heed to tumble down the barrier between them. His frame of mind was somewhat bizarre. This guy surely loved blurting out things that were raw. Gayon man, nagustuhan pa rin niya ang pagiging totoo nito.

Kasalukuyan silang nasa labas ng bakery shop. Malamig ang simoy ng hangin at ang mga poste sa sidewalk ang tanging nagsisilbing ilaw nila. Simula nang palitan siya ni Asahel sa pagde-deliver, mas tumaas na rin ang benta ng kanilang mga produkto. Kaya naman ngayon, madaling-araw pa lang ay naghahatid na siya ng mga tinapay sa iba't ibang lugar.

Kinagat ni Acushla ang ibabang labi bago magwika. "Gusto ko sanang sumama." It's been a week and she's been missing the cool breeze from the sea. Doing deliveries wasn't just a job, it felt like an adventure for her soul.