Hello

Dear, Wren

Something about the way you said hello. Not hi, or hey. Hello. You never shortened it. You said.

"Always say hello, sure it's formal but sometimes people need to know that you'll spend that extra second saying hello and not hi or hey for them."

I try and say hello most the time, but sometimes I shorten it. I don't feel like spending that extra second to say it, I'm constantly masking how I really feel. I feel weak because of you.

Do you remember when you disappeared for a week? No one knew where you were. Only then did I realize I needed you. Not want. Need. Maybe that's why I still have your smile captured in a picture frame on my bedside table.

When you came back the first thing you said was hello. Then you told me all about how you went on an adventure, your voices kept you company as you spent your nights on the train.

I cried when I saw your smile, I wrapped my arms so tightly around you that I swear you were turning purple. All I said for two minutes was.

"Hello, Hello, Hello-"

I didn't stop until you asked why I was crying, I missed you. I was worried - but you thought no one would care if you were gone. I cared but you said the one with the squiggly brow said I didn't. I wish I could punch your hallucinations.

I just want you to know, if I ever become sleep deprived and start hallucinating you, the first thing I'll say is hello.

Love, Wilbur