Chapter Two A

Possessed?

Every horror movie I'd ever seen flashed through my mind. Spinning heads, hauntings, uncontrolled urges to eat human flesh. My tummy turned as if an alien already nibbled on my insides.

The lingering effects of the strange zap continued to slam my internal organs. Like an old-fashioned pinball game, the tiny metal ball banging off my lungs, then my ribs, then my small intestine.

I lay on my back, bruised inside. Exhausted. The cold, concrete floor cooled my body. I must've blacked out and imagined things. Crazy things.

Like that guy Xander thinking he was going to become King Tut.

Like the old man Jeb thinking I was King Tut.

I didn't believe in aliens or ghosts or ancient Egyptian souls. I might've never regularly attended school, but I'd read a lot. King Tut was an ancient Egyptian king who'd died while a teenager, which totally sucked. I could be dying from electrocution now, which also sucked.

A shiver crossed over the waves of heat raging inside and filled me with panicky static. I could be arrested lying on the ground in a closed museum holding a stolen artifact in my hot hands. I had to get out of here. Get away from the clumsy criminals Xander and Jeb.

I stiffened and listened for a clue to learn how long I'd blacked out for. The pressure alarm in the empty amulet's case hadn't gone off yet. Only seconds then. I still had time to make a successful escape.

"The ancient spell was spoken and she was next to hold King Tut's Mighty Amulet of Aten." Jeb's hot, cashew-scented breath hit my face. He was too close. Way too close. "She looks about the right age."

Right age for what?

I squeezed my lids tight pretending to be asleep. Surprise was my best offense. The material of Jeb's clothes crinkled and he moved away. He thought I was unconscious.

Good. I needed space to get away.

"The power is mine." Xander sounded like a spoiled child whose favorite toy had been taken away. "She has no upbringing. No training. No heritage."

So, I wasn't good enough to inherit King Tut's soul?

My eyes blinked. Blood raged through my veins. He was just like the private school kids I passed on my way to the pawn shop. Cold, arrogant, snobby. I wanted to smack that superior smile off Xander's handsome face.

Not that I believed all that junk about King Tut's soul and the amulet. The only power this necklace held was the power of money. Cold, hard cash. Money that would pay for school supplies for Tina and Doug so maybe they could be educated and return to a normal life. It was too late for me.

The pulsing inside my body must be from an electrical force used in the security system. An important detail Fitch hadn't mentioned or didn't know. Just like the security guard I'd stuck inside the mummy case.

I analyzed my body. Nothing broken. No fiery burning or slamming pain. The pulsing sensation had died down. I was fine.

Time to make my move.

My muscles tightened. I readied myself. I took a deep breath, scrambled to my feet and took off in a hard sprint.

"Follow her," Jeb ordered. "Don't let her get away."

Xander's lighter step flopped behind me. Right behind me.

Even in his gold sandals the guy easily kept pace. He was bigger, stronger, and possibly faster than me. I sucked in a short, shallow breath that hit the back of my throat with a sharp edge. I had to get away, find Fitch.