Chapter Twelve B

My heart fumbled its beat. My hands dropped, still holding the papers. Numbness spread throughout.

"Let me see." Xander ripped the papers out of my hands. "King Tutankhamun's host will perish unless..." Xander's brow furrowed in concentration. He continued to read in silence.

The furrow didn't detract from his movie-star looks, only made him appear more intelligent and intense. He frowned and I wished I could make him smile again. When he smiled, I lightened inside. And forgot my fear.

A fear that ate away at my stomach lining. A fear that gnawed at my nerves. A fear that doubled downed on my claustrophobia. I felt like I was going to burst at the seams.

He gazed at me. "What?"

I tried to gather my thoughts. "I was wondering what it said." Not. I wrapped my arms around my knees to control myself.

"This is a modified version that Jeb wrote based on ancient scrolls. The seven essential oils must be collected for the anointing ceremony."

"Right."

"Let me finish." Xander flipped to another page. "The old text said the oils could be collected from their original source. Jeb made a notation that the Society had accumulated all the oils needed for the ceremony in the 1920's. One of the sacred duties of the host is to collect all the oils. They've been hidden, moved and then re-hidden for safekeeping in various places since."

"Hidden in the mansion?" Hope shot through me spreading across my skin in a fresh bloom. I glanced around the confined space of Xander's secret hiding place. A good reason to get out of here. Now. "Maybe that was the intent for this space."

"I would've found anything hidden in here."

"You didn't find the oil in Queen Ankhesenamen's bust." My snarkiness returned. He might be the expert but I hosted the soul.

Xander continued, "In case the Secret Holder of the Society died before the transfer occurred the Society left clues on each of the oil vessels to find the next."

"Like a treasure hunt." I unwrapped my arms. "So, the Society needs all the oils to carry out their plan." A bit of relief took the edge off my tension. They not only needed me, they needed the oils as well.

His lips quirked. "We have the Lotus oil."

I held out my hand. "Can I see the oil container?"

He rummaged in his pocket and took out the small container painted to look like a jewel and dropped it in my palm. He continued reading in silence.

I examined the gold container, pushing the blurriness of claustrophobia away. I had to learn to control this fear, especially if I continued with a life of crime. If I had to hide from the cops, I'd have to learn to deal with small spaces.

There was a mark where I'd tried to rub what I thought was a jewel. I ran my finger over it. Scratches marred the surface. Running my finger over again, I paid attention to the grooves. "I don't think these are random marks." I held the container toward the only light source in the room. Tiny pictures emerged. "Hieroglyphics."

His hands jerked. "W-what?"

"Pyramid sighted. Souls united." Not only could I understand ancient Egyptian but I could read hieroglyphics. Thanks, Tut.

"What do you think it means?" Folding one of the pages in half, he sounded distracted.

"Useless words. Just stupid poetry from ancient times." My clipped tone had an edge to it. The miniscule room was still affecting me.

"This container isn't ancient." Xander ran his fingers over the edge of the paper. "The construction is twentieth century."

"So, it's a modern bad poem." I dropped the container into his backpack and shut my eyes trying to tune out the blurriness around my vision.

My lungs scraped in oxygen. The sucked-in air felt filled with sharp, tiny particles that scratched and grated removing the inner lining. Currently, I was locked in a secret compartment of a closet in the mansion of the enemy. They were searching for me, wanted to use me to rule the world. To destroy the world. I just wanted out.

A muffled ripping sound filled the silence.

I opened my eyes. "What're you doing?"

"I tore Jeb's instructions by accident while shoving it in the backpack." Xander held up the the five printed pages covering the expression on his face. The second page had the bottom portion missing. "Nothing important is ruined." He took the pages and stuck them in the backpack.

His voice came from an echo-ey distance. My body swayed. I opened my mouth to ask something else but the question drifted away. I sucked down air unable to fill my lungs. Heat burned in my chest like a fire. My entire body felt hot. I licked my dry lips.

"We should go." I fell to my knees like I was going to crawl out.

"Go where?"

I couldn't take it anymore. The walls were getting closer. The single light bulb was getting darker. The air was running out. "Find..." What had he said? "Find the clues."

Any excuse to get out of this place. My skin crawled. Energy pulsed beneath my skin like a bomb was about to detonate. I pushed against the panel and it dropped into the closet.

"Wait." He extended a hand. "What if someone's out there?"

I didn't care if I got caught. Let the Society do what they wanted. Let me burn up and die. I'd rather end that way, than in a small sarcophagus of Xander's making. He couldn't stop me because he couldn't touch me.

I crawled over the edge of the panel, shoved the clothes aside and jumped to my feet. I burst out of the closet door. Dragging in huge breaths of air, I filled my lungs and sank to the ground in Xander's bedroom.

Happy to be alive and out of the cramped coffin. Happy to see sunlight again.

Not happy to hear...Jeb's voice as the bedroom doorknob turned.

Would you like to read the rest of this story right away and for FREE and get a second book as my gift? Sign up for my newsletter and I'll tell you how. www.allieburton.com