Chapter Fourteen B

But then I'd be dead.

He raised both eyebrows like the arches on the Golden GateBridge. "I don't think so." He pointed to the non-existent water around my black gym shoes. "That is totally sick. It's like that guy in the bible who parted the Red Sea."

"How do you know about Moses? I thought you trained for Tut's religion." Another wave rushed in, avoiding me.

"I studied all religions so when I needed to argue I'd know what I was talking about."

Weight added to my bones. I wanted to sink to the ground. I still had the power. And he still had his intelligence and good looks.

I glanced at the mansion, knowing we should get far away, but curious all the same. "Should I touch you again?"

He firmed his lips. His eyes flashed a touch of bravado. "Do it."

I touched his hand again, lightly skimming my fingers across his skin. A shiver passed through me. His muscles bunched under my touch. My chest lightened. I could touch him! We could hold hands and hug and kiss.

A satisfied smile bloomed on his face. "I didn't feel a thing."

Was that good or bad? Because I'd felt plenty.

Felt the warmth of his hand, felt tingles on my skin, felt a connection like I never had before.

Had he experienced any of those things? When he said I didn't feel a thing did he mean he didn't get zapped by my power? Or had he really felt absolutely nothing? Felt nothing for me?

"I can touch you?" My voice quivered, with excitement or fear or worry.

"I think you can."

Like a science experiment, I was taking advantage of the opportunity. For me and for a test. I held my arms up and moved toward him. The distance between us appeared like crossing a trip-wired floor of a highly secured building. I took a step closer. My arms went around his broad shoulders. My hands connected behind his back. My heart brushed against my ribs like a caged bird. I tightened my arms with a squeeze. Our chests touched. His heart against mine.

His nostrils flared slightly. He leaned toward me a half an inch at a time.

I gazed into his eyes, falling into the greenness like I'd fallen into the ocean earlier. Taking in his unique scent of lotus and palm. My heart thrashed so loudly in my chest I'm surprised he didn't hear it. My throat went dry.

I embraced Xander in his first-ever hug.

The waves continued to come and go, but of course I didn't feel the water. Didn't hear the surf, either. Didn't see the sun or the sky. I was completely focused on him. On the strength of his arms as they wrapped around me. On the broadness of his chest. On the length of his legs.

On the sudden stiffness of his body.

Each and every muscle I touched tightened in rejection. I stilled. My mushy body straightened, firmed. My arms holding him seemed awkward and out of place.

Maybe he didn't want me touching or hugging him. Maybe he didn't like being touched. Or maybe he didn't want his first hug to be from me.

Too late.

I dropped my arms from around him and took a step back, letting his arms fall. I went for a casual approach. "I can touch anyone."

Like it wasn't a big deal I'd hugged him even though my skin still tingled from his touch. Even though my tummy twisted in confusion. Even though my heart cracked and broke.