an old photograph

Nico didn't think a photograph could make him feel so many emotions at once. Joy, nostalgia, longing. The picture is old, fading around the edges from the wears of time. He could just make out the faint sight of Thalia's tree in the background, Peleus curling around its trunk.

Thalia herself stood in front of the Big House, linking arms with Percy and Nico. Her eyes were bright with electricity and uncontrolled laughter. Her hair was shorter than it is now, and the blue highlights had faded since the lst time he'd seen her renew them.

Percy looked bewildered, with his black hair in a mop on the top of his head. His mouth was wide in shock, and he was staring at Nico. Nothing could make Nico laugh harder than Percy's expression in that moment, forever captured in time by technology.

Nico himself was grinning, a rare sight at the time, more rare for Nico to crack a joke. Moments before Annabeth took the picture, Nico had made a really bad pun, that much he could remember.

Now, Thalia is traveling Europe with the hunt, Percy is living with Annabeth in New Rome getting ready for their second baby, and Nico is sitting alone in the Underworld, sorting through a stack of old photos.

Life didn't go exactly as he'd planned, but when he showed the picture later that night to Will, he looked down at their golden wedding bands, he knew he wouldn't change it for the world.

This was just a short idea that popped into my head one day. Enjoy the Solangelo!