-chapter 4-

J E N N Y

I had finally gotten home from school. I sighed in content as I walked through my doorway and plopped onto the couch. I pulled out my phone, smiling when I saw a text notification from Faye. Thanks to her and Grayson, my first day of school hadn't been that bad.

Except of course, the classic "present yourself to the class" crap teachers give new kids. That was a nightmare. I wanted to stay glued to my seat when the teacher called on me. But Grayson nudged me encouragingly, so I had managed to speak.

I unlocked my phone to read the text Faye had sent.

Oh, but it was all worries.

Except Grayson being there. I was actually happy he'd be there, but I don't know anyone else who'd be there. Maybe it would be some of the kids who were eating with us at the table at lunch. They all seemed nice, but I only really talked to Faye and Grayson during lunch.

They might think I'm antisocial or stuck up for not wanting to talk to them. Did I leave a bad impression? Will they like me? I sighed and shook my head as I got up from the couch. I need a shower to clear my head and attempt to wash away my stress and overthinking.

I'll be fine, no one should expect me to strike a conversation with everyone on my first day at school. Not that I'll do it on other days though.I would have no problem just hanging out with Faye and Grayson the entire year. They seem to understand me and I feel somewhat at ease with them already. As I went to grab a towel, I heard my phone buzz. It was another text, this time from Grayson.

 It was another text, this time from Grayson

I smiled as I read the text. He really hasn't changed, always so caring.
But why does my stomach feel weird all of a sudden? I shrug off the feeling and shoot a quick reply as I walk into the bathroom.

I blinked in confusion at the text. Then I felt a smile creep up my face and my cheeks get warm. I shouldn't be surprised at this, since this is typical Grayson behavior, but there's a weird feeling in my stomach. I look in the mirror to see my now red face.

JEEZ JENNY GET A GRIP

Goodness, I can't be turning into a tomato every time someone is slightly nice to me.

F A Y E

"Honestly Gray, you should have expected that from Kyler," I said before bursting out laughing. Grayson was on the phone with me whining about Kyler and his other friends. He complained that they kept talking about how hot the new girl Jenny is.

I thought it was funny how worked up Grayson was getting, and I decided to tease him just a bit. "Aw Gray, why are you getting so worked up hmm? Something you wanna admit?" I giggled. I can hear him sigh in exasperation. "Agh, shut up Faye, not you too!" he groaned.

I chuckled at his reaction. "It's fine Gray, either way Jenny didn't seem interested in Kyler or anyone. She didn't even talk to them," I pointed out.

"Yeah I guess you're right," he muttered. "Not that I'm worried about that or anything," he quickly added. "Sure, sure" I laughed as we said goodbye and hung up.

Jenny seems like a nice girl, and I can tell why Grayson wants to "protect" her, though he might deny it. She just needs to loosen up a bit with people, though she did seem comfortable when we were talking at lunch. Oh, I forgot to tell Grayson I invited Jenny as well to do homework. Oh well, it will be a pleasant surprise for him then, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to see her.

G R A Y S O N

From what I observed today, Jen had a good first day and I'm happy about it. Now I have to make sure it stays this way, and that Jen has a good time at school. Well, as good as school can be.

As I walked into my room, I went over to check on my pet praying mantis, Gazy. I opened his enclosure so I could feed him a couple bugs I found outside, and after I fed him I went and sat at my computer. I had homework to do, but my brain kept wandering.

I had forgotten to tell Jen about my praying mantis! Once, when we were at the school playground, Jen and I had found a praying mantis. Jen had called him Gazy, because praying mantises look like they're staring at you but they really aren't, it only looks like they are. We had to eventually let Gazy go when recess was over, but that became one of my favorite memories.

So, when I got a praying mantis a month ago, I decided to call him Gazy, just like Jen had named the mantis at recess years ago. I smiled to myself as I recalled the memory. I should show Jen a picture of Gazy tomorrow, she'll love it.

I shook my head and began to type into my computer. I keep getting distracted, and I have all this homework to do.