-chapter 8-

J E N N Y

It's been a couple months since my first day at Oaks High, and it hasn't been all that bad! I've been hanging out with Faye and Grayson a lot, and I even hang out with Jacob sometimes. He's pretty good at helping me with math homework (but don't tell Grayson). I'm pretty sure that he's wrong about Jacob, and that maybe he's just jealous of him or something. If he is jealous, I don't know why. Grayson is pretty popular too, so why he have to compete with Jacob?

Men. I guess I won't ever understand them.
Funny enough, I got a text from Grayson immediately after I thought that.

G: Hey Jen! Did you want to go to the mall tomorrow after school?

J: Sure! Who's going?

G: Well I was thinking it could just be us, since we haven't really spend that much time actually catching up together. Sorry if that sounds weird lol.

J: Haha you're fine! It's not weird at all, I'd love to go with you.

For some reason, I could feel little sparks of electricity flowing through my fingers as I typed that last text. Grayson and I hadn't really actually spent time together by ourselves, it was always with Faye or anyone else. Though I wasn't weirded out by the fact of hanging out alone with him, I was oddly kind of nervous.

Grayson is such a nice guy, he's never done anything weird to make me uncomfortable or anything of the sort . Then why am I so nervous?

G: Great! See you then :)

Oh God, I'm freaking out now. I'm going to have to wear something nice to school since we're going right after school. I need to call Faye RIGHT NOW.

...

G R A Y S O N

1 hour earlier...

"What do you mean she hangs out with Jacob alone?!" I almost shouted at Faye. I was pacing back and forth in my room, looking like a lunatic yelling at my phone.

"Jeez Gray, chill," Faye replied. "Jacob just helps Jen with math homework, that's it. She came to me for help first, and I guess Jacob overheard it because he quickly offered her help. She accepted it, so there wasn't much I could do," she continued while casually sipping a juice box. How is she so calm about all this?

"Well, she could've asked me for help! I'm gladly willing to help her,"I said, trying to calm down. I was too late though, because Faye was already glaring at me. "Gray, she is her own person. She can hang out with other people if she wants to. Even if it's some douchebag neither of us like," she pointed out.

"Okay, but why him? I know I'm not her only friend, but he's bad news! I already warned her about it too," I sighed exasperatedly, plopping down on my bed. Why am I making such a big deal out of this? Jenny is my friend, I definitely shouldn't be wanting to dictate her decisions. But I have this urge to want to protect her, I just don't know how to do it.

"If you're so worked up about her hanging out with Jacob by herself, why don't you hang out with her by yourself, huh?" Faye asked with a smirk.

I immediately froze at her words. "Uh- I don't know- um," I stuttered.

"BRO ARE YOU SCARED?!?" Faye exclaimed, throwing her head back and laughing.

"NO I AM NOT," I replied, getting all defensive. Faye just shook her head, still chuckling. "It's just Jen, Gray. Why are you so nervous? It's not hard for you to hang out with people," she said.

She was right. Even though I didn't want to admit it, I guess I was a bit nervous. But I did want to get to know Faye even more, and that required one-on-one hanging out. I took a deep breath and exhaled out. "Alright, I'll do it." I said firmly.

"Oh you will?" Faye asked teasingly, wiggling her eyebrows. "Oh shut up, just don't tell her please. I will text her later," I told Faye.

"Fine by me," Faye giggled as she hung up.

Now I have to actually text and ask Jen if she wants to hang out.

...

J E N N Y

"Faye I don't know what to wear tomorrow!" I squealed, rummaging through my closet.

"Why do you want to dress up so nice anyways, hmm?" Faye asked, winking. I had called Faye and begged her to come over. I needed her fashion advice ASAP.

"Oh my goodness Faye, I don't want to over-do it but I want to look presentable, y'know? A hoodie and jeans just won't cut it." I told her, glancing at my usual outfit laid out on my bed.

"Alright, alright. I will try to work my magic, your majesty." She responded, curtsying dramatically. I laughed as she began to look in my closet and drawers.

After ten minutes breezed by, Faye had laid out a cute pastel green top and light blue flared jeans on my bed. "Ta-daaa! What do you think?" she asked with a smile. "I love it! I can't wait to wear it," I gushed.

"Try it on now! And you better send me pictures of the final look tomorrow too," Faye added.

Without hesitating I nodded and went to my bathroom to change. I could feel my excitement turn into little butterflies in my stomach as I put on the outfit.

When I had changed, I went back to my room and did a twirl for Faye. "Soooo?" I asked.
"You look gorgeous!" She said, clapping her hands together. "I'm sure Grayson will think so too," she teased.

"Oh come on Faye, you act like its a date," I said, looking at myself in the mirror.
"I haven't said it's a date, do you want it to be?" Faye asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

"No, no! I mean, we're just friends!" I cried, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"Mhmm, well I'll see you tomorrow," Faye said as she waved and left.

This is not a date! Grayson and I are just friends.