o. prologue

SOPHIE REMEMBERED SHE WAS 13 when she met her father.

It was a chilly cold night in the orphanage and Sophie was silently stressing through Physics (please explain Newton's #1 law) when her only friend Zara told her that Mr. Brunner, the head of this orphanage, wanted to meet her in his office.

Sophie scowled at that. Why would Mr. Brunner want to meet her at this ungodly hour of the day?

But she didn't ask Zara, since she assumed she didn't know either.

With a sigh, Sophie gathered her half-written and crumpled physics homework stuffed it into her bag, and dimmed the lights.

Trudging down the empty corridors of the orphanage, questions were spinning at top speed in her head.

One would think she'd be worried because she somehow accidentally caused a cup to explode in the middle of eating supper yesterday, but no, she was worried about more serious things.

Sophie was worried that this was a prank.

After all, it had happened plenty of times before.

Other kids bullied her because of her cowardly nature, her ADHD, her dyslexia, etc.

No adult bothered to stand up for her.

Her mom was dead as far as Sophie was concerned.

And her dad was also nowhere to be seen, not like she cared.

She'd wish over and over again during her birthdays that her dad might appear and give her a birthday card, or at least come visit her once.

But he never did

The only person who seemed to care was Mr. Brunner.

This old teacher seemed to think that Sophie was a very bright kid, instead of a dumb one she considered herself and could only get a B- grade max with max effort.

We would teach her about the Greek gods during her spare time. And surprisingly, that came rather easily to her.

She could read ancient greek.

It felt as if her brain were hardwired for them. She found herself unable to stop reading the mythology book Mr. Brunner had given her.

It was only when she reached the door to the office did Sophie realize how much time has passed.

Sophie was about to push open the door when she heard voices inside.

"I am telling you Chiron," said an unfamiliar man's voice. The voice was gruff and very unfriendly. Unlike her wonderful teacher/guardian.

Also, who is Chiron?

"That I am not going to claim her," the man finished.

"The girl deserves to know," she heard Mr. Brunner say calmly.

"How?" The man sneered. Was it Sophie or did she actually feel the heat radiating from inside the office?

She shivered. She felt as if a small spider was crawling up her back.

Out of panic, she quickly slapped her hand onto her back.

Two things she got by doing that.

Finding out that there was no spider

Exposing herself

The second she did that, the door to Mr. Brunner's office swung open, nearly hitting Sophie.

She yelped in horror as the scene unfolded in front of her.

Inside was not a man, but a teenage boy with a black shirt, ratty jeans, a leather jacket, and a bandana on his head.

And where his eyes were supposed to be were fiery swirls of fire.

She was so stunned by this strange figure, she didn't realize Mr. Brunner was standing next to him until a second later.

And she gasped again, her consciousness began to black in and out.

It was Mr. Brunner, Sophie was sure of that.

But instead of sitting in a wheelchair. Mr. Brunner was standing with horse legs.

"YOU SEE WHY I WON'T CLAIM HER NOW?" Sophie heard a voice say.

She opened her eyes, then shut them again for the light was too bright for her eyes.

"You're awake," the same voice said.

Begrudgingly, she opened her eyes again and then surveyed her surroundings.

She was still in Mr. Brunner's office.

"What...what happened?"

The teenage punk dude rolled his eyes, then waved his hands at Mr. Brunner.

"Explain and all that," he said in a bored tone, then sat down on a nearby chair, glaring at Sophie.

And that was how Sophie Evans got enrolled in the world of monsters.

I've re-written the story because the previous version was a little messy and I generally disliked it. But it's back and chapter 1 will be posted in a sec <3 also, the chapter will get longer, I promise