Part 41

Over the course of thousands of years, Oolacile was no more. Replacing its rubble was the shifting earth.

Tectonic plates rumbled over another, burying the magical city and what was left of the Abyss. However, that doesn't mean it was gone forever.

Deep in a mess of toppled trees and poisonous swamps, Mandias searched for the tomb of the Abyss Watchers.

In absolute darkness, he swayed through the same path he took to light the torches. Yet something was amiss.

The sloshing waters below alerted him, forcing him to draw his sword at his waist and stand his ground.

Below a few crumbling planks of wood, ripples of water touched the base of a small tower, introducing an ancient evil.

A Darkwraith stalked the poisonous grounds, searching for any bits of light to sniff out, and any ounce of humanity to steal and consume.

It stopped dead in its tracks once Mandias's torch touched its Abyss-covered form. And with a slow, eery turn of its head, it stared, stiff as wood while the green water calmed.

In one hand was a dark blade, while in the other was a glowing red light, a means to maim and drain its victim.

Sheathing his sword, Mandias continued on. The Darkwraith was a threat to no one, not when it was trapped below.

Crossing several more planks and interconnected watch towers, he came across the only light around, a massive door with 4 lit beacons.

Hopping down and approaching, he again heard the rustling metal plates of Darkwraiths.

Quickly sniffing out his torch, he took cover beside the massive doors. Normally he wouldn't mind a fight, but for now, he needed to conserve his strength and supplies. For it was a long path ahead.

Silently watching several more Darkwraiths emerge from the darkness, he reignited his torch and dashed inside.

He followed a long dirt path until the ground suddenly became stone, and his surroundings were ruins.

Closing the doors behind him, he continued through literal piles of bodies, Abyss Watchers, to the hidden path below.

After yet another long walk, he allowed himself a moment of rest. Removing the coiled sword from his back, he jabbed it into the stone floor, creating a bonfire when the scorching magic inside exploded.

The scolding flames were just as warm as the simple light it left behind. That had become normal to him, deadly flames were warm, and frigid storms were a calm breeze.

Taking a seat on the hard floor, he crossed his legs and rested his elbows on his knees. He grew relaxed as time passed, allowing his plated armor to hold his weight in place for a nap.

Just as he shut his eyes, a golden shimmer touched the soot-covered metal encasing his body.

He grunted in initial confusion before he recognized a simple summoning sign written on the floor. He also recognized the title written in stone.

Mandias considered touching it, allowing a companion in this dark and lonely quest.

Maybe they would only slow him down, and become a detriment. Or perhaps they could provide sufficient support, a means to quell the loneliness in his heart while simply being a face and voice to confide with.

Before he even realized it, Mandias had touched the glowing sign, allowing entry to an individual he considered his only friend.

"Mandias..."