Part 134

Back outside, Y/N continued his little project. With light glaring down from a nearby window, and voices on the other side, he began to relax and let his mind be at peace.

Hearing the door open and close, he expected someone to walk through, well, it still was someone depending on who you asked.

Boss's nails clicked along the wooden porch at a slow and relaxed pace. He was tired too but enjoyed the cold a lot more than the warmth the cabin had to provide.

Bumping Y/N's knee with his head, he earned a few soft pats on his back before he settled in, curling up at his master's feet.

The muffled voices he could barely make out got Y/N thinking. It wasn't anything critical, just a warm reminder of how far he had come.

Math was such a pain, huh?

Everyone inside was content with what was being discussed, finding it interesting, nostalgic, or even cute. Y/N on the other hand was a little embarrassed to relive those moments, so for now he was content with math as Glynda retold a distant memory.

_____________________________________

There wasn't much to do during spring break, well, for kids such as Y/N and Glynda. There wasn't some festival to attend or party to enjoy, just everyday life without all the professors, lessons, and combat.

Y/N wasn't too sure what to do. He never intended to have company, let alone someone like Glynda at his side. So that basically meant his plans to relax and sleep were right out the window. He was fortunate enough, however, to share a feeling with her.

Neither child cared what there was to do or not do. With that in mind, Glynda recommended something, and much to her surprise, Y/N agreed.

The library was empty, leaving its long halls smelling of a faint, sweet cleaner. There was nothing else to note when the sun gleamed down from a nearby window, making the white pages of textbooks bright and Glynda's golden hair even brighter.

She recommended they get ahead of the curve, getting extra credit while patching the little holes in Y/N's memory. Right now they went over the Great War, a turning point in Remnant's history.

"Whatever happen to all the Rangers?" Y/N asked, his speech nearly mumbled as he rested his chin on folded hands.

"I'm... not sure."

The Warrior King had a small army of Rangers at his side but Y/N only ever counted a few dozen back in A'liah. It was something to think about but not drag along.

"Does your... father has some sort of family history with them?" Glynda asked, scared she may dig up something sour.

"Couldn't tell you." Y/N hummed. "I think he was like me... orphan and all."

"Is that how they're recruited?" The young woman asked, horrified by the implication.

"We didn't have anywhere else to go." He shrugged as if it were nothing. "But... that's the choice we made."

"Is that why you're here? In... Beacon, I mean."

"Pretty much." Y/N sighed. Standing up, he rotated his chair and sat down, letting him kick back with his legs propped up on another wooden chair. "This way I can find some kinda—just something. I dunno what it is yet, but I might find it."

He raised his hands and stretched, popping his back before his hands folded atop his head.

"And you?" He asked, breaking her out of a blank, somber stare. "You're asking me all these questions, figure it's fair I ask you."