Chapter 10

We stop about five miles from where we were dropped off, and even though it was only 4:30 in the afternoon, the sun was setting rapidly. The wind picks up almost as soon as we let our bags fall off of our backs; they make a satisfying plump when they hit the ground, and we attempt to roll out the knots in our shoulders. While we are relieved from the burden of the packs, Gilly and Hodge are walking around, quite rapidly too. They seem to be checking for something, and although their paces are on the verge of frantic, their faces are calm and collected. I don't worry about it, and no one else seemed to notice the guides' actions.

That's the funny thing about people; we are only compassionate when someone shows distress on their face. If someone is acting hurt but doesn't look like it, they must not be hurt that badly. Some people just have thicker shells than others.

Still oblivious to our guides, everyone-excluding me-is now standing around pieces of green tarp, which I can only infer are the tents. Being a city girl, with no desire to ever get out into the countryside and fend myself, I know I'd be more detrimental than helpful. However, most people did seem to know what they are doing to an extent. Being from the south, hunting and camping was normal, as was setting up tents and campfires.

The ones who do know what to do are hesitant, something that doesn't fail to catch my interest. It is to be expected, obviously, but I wouldn't have expected Jonathan and Trent to be looking like puppies waiting for their master's permission. Hodge seems to be the master, for even Gilly follows him. I find it funny, the difference in Trent's actions and demeanor when he is in his element and when he is in a foreign situation. The least he could do is act like a douche consistently.

"Eden, since you're not helping can you go ask Hodge what we should do?" Sydney asks me this, without a trace of malice in her voice, so I know she doesn't begrudge my lack of action. Hayden, on the other hand, looks as though she wants to kill me. I had only been standing there for a minute, I think.

So without stopping to think about getting chewed out by the dour guide, I start walking forward. Snow crunches under my boots, and I'm thankful that I got rubber, fur lined boots to keep out the cold and the dampness. "Um, Hodge?" I walk up behind him, tapping him on the shoulder. "The campers-myself included-are wondering what we should be doing? I think they need some help setting up the tents."

He turns, almost looking annoyed until his realized who I am and it softens. I'm confused, but maybe he just had thought I was Hayden; she had flirted with him enough in these past five hours to make anyone go crazy. "Well, Eden maybe if you helped them they'd get it figured out." I'm surprised he knows my name, seeing as this was the first actual conversation we have had.

I gave a nervous little laugh, I'm not sure if he was being serious or joking with me. "Well about that...I really have had no experience with camping at all, so I think I'd just get in the way." He looks unconvinced, but not angry. I can see the question in his eyes, why did she get picked? "And besides," I start, trying to redeem myself in his judgmental eyes. "I came and asked you, which is more than anyone else was willing to do."

He gives a sincere chuckle at that. "So you think they chose you out of amount of guts?"

"Well I have more than everyone else here, so I think that's a viable option." I put my hands on my hips and hope he takes that as an answer.

He smiles at me, and I don't even need to look over my shoulder to know that Hayden is glaring daggers at me. "Give Gilly and me a couple of seconds to get our own stuff situated, and we'll come over and help you all."

"Thank you," I say as I turn to leave.

"Oh and Eden?" I look back at Hodge expectantly. "You can tell your boyfriend to relax, he can have you."