Chapter Eighteen

A sudden heave of my lungs jolted me awake. I shot up from my laid position, the blanket falling to my waist, clutching my chest to calm my breathing. My heart was beating faster than a hummingbird's wings. I focused my mind, concentrating on keeping myself calm.
I was really getting tired of being knocked unconscious.

I rubbed my temples to ease the pain in my head, whatever Seraphina had done to me scrambled every part of my brain.

That's when the realization hit me. I threw out my hands, and where my scaled talons had once been, there were slender, human-like fingers and palms. I pressed my hands to my face, tracing over every detail, no horns, scales, or sharpened teeth to be found. The only change was my ears, I traced the slightly pointed tip delicately. I pulled off the blanket from my lap, revealing a newer, slender frame and long, lean legs. Every fiber of my being echoed with unfamiliarity, but I felt more myself than ever before. Somehow, someway, I was no longer trapped in my draki body.

Despite my elation about my new form, I knew I had to focus on where I had been transported. I was laying on a long, black chaise lounge poised in front of a stone fireplace.

Great, another new and unrecognized place.

On the wall above the fire was a sheer grey curtain concealing a vague portrait of a woman. I stared at the painting, trying to see the face behind the mask, but I was distracted by a squeaky door hinge. I turned my head to face the sound, and I felt my stomach drop. There, standing in the doorway, was Gavin. His curly black hair was neatly combed, and his face was dappled with scars still trying to heal. I looked into his eyes and I saw no fear, no sadness, no pain. He flashed me the brightest smile before rushing to embrace me.

"I'm so glad you're alive. I don't know what I'd do if you-if you," I tried to get out the words. Gavin, holding me tighter, stopped my stuttering as he said,

"No reason to think that way anymore. I'm here and so are you."

"But, how? How did I change? How did you escape? How did we get here? Where is here?"

"One question at a time, Lyda. Are you trying to drive me crazy?" Gavin laughingly said, "We've only been together for two minutes."

"Alright," I said, rolling my eyes at my companion whom I missed dearly.

"For starters, I have no idea how you changed. I was hoping you'd have an explanation for that, because draki are not shifters, or that's what I was taught. On the other hand, it's great to see the fae you rather than the fire-breathing beast you. Draki you was much prettier though."

I shoved Gavin playfully earning a laugh from him in response. I motherly nodded at him, knowing if he got distracted I'd never get more answers out of him. Gavin waved me away, as he said,

"Alright, alright. What was the next question?"

"How did you escape?" I asked slowly, just to make sure he was fully listening.

"Now that, is a great story. It all started back in those horrible cavern cells. I still remember them separating us, dragging me to a room, and dragging you to the fight pit. When they locked me in the room, I thought I would be trapped in there forever, but it wasn't all bad."

"I was locked away with a princess, specifically the Princess of the Crypt, but her real name is Cia. She's nothing like her brother, at least that's what she told me. We spent a lot of time talking, sharing our life stories and adventures, and she showed me how to tame a firecat. It's much easier than you would think."

"Then, I heard about the vorpalis and I heard your cries. When Cia returned, she told me about how you won, she told me how brave you were, braver than any beast of the pit. I was glad to hear you were alright, but I told her I was worried about you still. It was her plan for me to escape. She told me she didn't want me to be trapped beneath the ground like she was, so we worked together to find a way for you and me to escape the Crypt."