9 - Not My Brother

Taylor

I melted into Jade's lithe embrace, soaking up the support she offered. She laughed huskily in my ear.

"This must be an actual emergency," she pulled away. "What's going on, Tay? Did you change your mind about breaking it off with Liam?"

It was Friday, and it's been two days since my breakup with Liam and the disturbing confession that Wings had made. I'd holed up in my apartment, calling in sick for the last few days. My body broke out in a whole sweat at the thought of seeing Wings again and if he came into work, I wouldn't be able to avoid him. I'd called Jade, desperate for a friendly ear to vent too.

"Liam broke up with me, but you won't believe the rest" I shook my head and filled her in on the entire conversation and Wings following me home. Jade's eyes flew open as I repeated what Wings had said to my question, and she let out a low whistle. She popped the top off two of the beers she'd brought and slid one over to me.

"I'm guessin' you need a few of these" she gripped the neck of her own bottle and took a deep swallow. "Have you heard from him since?" she asked and I shook my head, taking a sip of the cool liquid.

"No, thank God. But I also haven't left my apartment since. What kind of game is he playing, saying that to me?"

Jade hopped up on the kitchen counter, throwing a leg over her knee and narrowing her eyes.

"Well, I always thought he was into you. Whatever happened between you two, he hasn't gotten over. Don't lie and say nothing, I'm not blind, unlike most of the people at the club"

My lips curled in response.

"Trust me when I say there was nothing for him to get over"

Jade just stared at me, a slight furrow between her brows.

"I guarantee the man doesn't know what love is. He's driven by guilt, or he's pursuing me because he knows I won't ever have him" I took in a deep breath "He treated me like dirt, worse than dirt" I cleared my throat, still feeling the sting of it after all this time. I let the story spill out to the first person I'd ever told and felt shame wash over me. There was still a part of me that felt like I was nothing because of how he'd used me and tossed me aside. Jade swore under her breath, her fingers tearing at the beer label in agitation.

"Oh my god. Oh, Tay, I can't even imagine how much that would have hurt. No wonder you hate his guts. I never would have guessed that. He's always seemed so obsessed with you"

I almost dropped my beer, fingers tightening around the neck just in time. My heart rattled against my chest.

"What are you on about" I said harshly and Jade looked at me with her eyebrows raised.

"You're kidding me, right? The guy hasn't even looked at another girl since the brief interlude with Casey. When you're around, all he does is stare a hole into the side of your head. If anyone mentions your name, he perks up like a dog." My gorgeous friend leaned forward. "I am not surprised that he considers himself in love"

I snorted, sipping my beer to avoid having to answer.

"Like I said, he feels guilty over how he treated me. He chased Casey so hard that he squashed me in the dust in his haste to get to her. Once he had her, he got bored. So he's convinced himself that I'm his newest chase, a way to wrinkle out the guilt and feel better"

"Right? He's a dog. He doesn't deserve you, anyway. I'm just glad you didn't let him hold you back. I know Liam wasn't 'the one' but he taught you how to have fun. He's been celibate while you've been getting that good dick" Jade sent me a salacious wink and some of the tightness in my chest loosened. It felt good to vent, to pour out my grievances and have them welcomed with open arms.