11 - Testing Truth

Taylor

Work was quiet today. I leaned against the counter, hoping for a rush of customers to keep my mind busy. I needed some reprieve from the scene that kept replaying in my mind. Over and over like a loop, and it was slowly sending me mad. Jade had sent me a video starring a certain lopsided biker with a gleeful comment about him eviscerating Casey. I growled under my breath. Here I was thinking about it again. But how was I meant to stop? The video had made my heart rate jack up to the ceiling and I'm not sure it'd stopped. That was three days ago. I hadn't seen Wings since that night at the bar.

He told Casey he loved me.

I still couldn't believe it. There was something different about whispering it to me in the dark shadows, where no one else knew what lies he was spouting. This was in the bright of day, sober and clear. Why would he do a thing like that? A rough biker saying he loved someone like me? I didn't believe him the first time he told me, but each subsequent time I second guessed myself. I shifted behind the counter, irritated that Wings was taking up space in my mind again.

"Hey Tay," came a voice from behind me. I spun around to see Michael giving me a nervous smile.

"Michael! Twice in one week. What are the chances?" I exclaimed, leaning over to give him a brief hug. Michael and I had been close in school. We took media together and found we had a common interest in pop culture. He'd left before the end of school, having to drop out to support his dad, who was sick. We'd lost touch until a week ago when he'd run into me on the street and invited me out for ice-cream. We'd reminisced and enjoyed each other's company. Life had been difficult for Michael, the sole earner supporting his dad. He was under a lot of pressure.

"I know, right?" Michael huffed a laugh, waving a hand at the man skulking behind him. He was lanky, with a thick beard, shaved head, his hands shoved in his pockets.

"Just here with my cousin—ah—" he darted a look at the man, who gave me a wide-toothed smile.

"Hunt," he purred, "I'm helping Michael out with his dad," leaning over with his hand outstretched. "Who is this little morsel?"

Gross. I wrinkled my nose at his comment, but saw my manager looking so gave his rough hand a quick shake before wiping it off on my jeans.

"This is Taylor, that girl I was, uh—telling you about" Michael looked around, like he was searching for something. In contrast, Hunt wouldn't take his eyes off me, and it was making my skin crawl.

"Taylor, well now, isn't that cute." Hunt leaned on the counter and banged his fist on the surface lightly. Michael bounced from one foot to the other.

"Well, we better get going. Good to see you, Taylor," he said, jerking his head at Hunt. I looked down at their empty hands and frowned.

"You didn't find what you were looking for?" I called out to their backs as they made their way to the exit. Hunt shot me an unreadable look over his shoulder.

"Don't worry darlin' we found just what we were looking for"

I didn't have time to ponder the strange interaction, as I got my wish. Customers flooded in and I didn't stop moving until 6pm when I finished my shift. My feet felt like weights as I dragged my bag over my shoulder and I schlepped my way to my car. I'd booked a ticket for a 7pm showing of an action film, but now I wasn't looking forward to it. Maybe I should see if Michael wanted to come with me or Jade, although she was more of a documentary girl. A shadow startled me from my musing when I noticed the shadow of a familiar body resting against the side of my shitty car. I pulled up short, my stomach doing a weird flip flop.

"Wings," I said, forcing my feet to move. God, why did my voice sound like a strangled cat? He stiffened, straightening of my car and making a noise of surprise.

"Taylor! I thought you didn't get off for another half hour," Wings said, running his hand over the back of his neck.

"You were going to wait for me that long?" I said dumbly, and he let off a short laugh. He was still rubbing the back of his neck, slow and methodical.

Was he...nervous?

"Ahh yeah, I've been tied up on club business for the last few days and I know you probably enjoyed the break from me hanging around all the time but I wanted to check in with you"

To be honest, I hadn't missed him. But I'd gotten so used to him being there all the time, a constant, irksome presence. Without him chasing me for a smile or a word, I had felt almost...bereft. Like he'd finally proved me right with all his words being bluster, pretty lies. Not that I wanted anything from him. I sighed. He hurried to fill the silent space.

"I'm going to be crazy busy over the next while. I just wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten you. I hadn't changed my mind about what we spoke about, how I feel for you"

He looked up at the dusky sky and swore.

"Just, if you don't see me around, it's because I'm working, that's all"

He looked tired, his hair unwashed and jaw covered in stubble. I wondered if he ever made himself tidy when he visited me because he'd never looked this unkempt before. I didn't want to know what kind of work he was doing for the club, but it looked like it was wearing on him. I remembered the ill-fated moment when I had thought he'd chosen me and how the reds of his eyes should have given away how drunk he was. Now he stood here, tired but unmistakably sober. I'd tried everything I could think of to push this man away and there was still a part of me that thought, what if? What if it was different this time? It was a small part, but loud. Before it grew, I needed to do something. I needed to prove that this was a chase for Wings, that as soon as I gave in, he would give up.

I knew he would.

"Wings," I said, and he spoke over me, the whites of his eyes flashing.

"I wish I could tell you more of what was going on, but it's club business and you know how that is."

"Wings," I said again, but he waved his hands.

"Wait" he sounded desperate "I know you don't want me here but if you give me a second—"

This time it was me who interrupted.

"Wings" I said, sternly. I stepped forward, a little too closely for it to feel friendly, and I watched in fascination as his pupils dilated. He smelled like a curious mix of exhaust and leather, that used to be an aphrodisiac to me when I was tongue tied by the sight of him. Wings shoulders slumped, and he bit his lip, but he remained quiet, waiting for the dismissal that he thought was coming.

"Do you want to see a movie together?" I said instead. 

*************************************************************************

Only a short one today! The reason being? I published my first book today! As you can imagine I am pretty excited. If you're interested, it's called Triad's Curse and you can find it on Amazon, it's also on Kindle Unlimited if you have that. It's a fantasy RH, so a little different to this story but if you're reading my Burnt Heart story you will know I love RH :). I have also started a Readers Group called Mae Pierce Readers on Facebook and would love to see you over there!

Ok enough about that!