Phobia

A brisk knock made Grillby jump from his spot where he was boredly playing cards. He went to answer the door, hiding behind it so the dreaded snow couldn't touch him. The person in question came in, revealing themselves to be the handsome scientist, Wingdings Gaster. "W-what brings you here?" Grillby asked as he closed the door. "Have I said something wrong? If so, I would like to apologize and correct this mistake." Grillby's flames started to turn pink. Wingdings was there for him- "N-no. No, you said nothing wrong. In fact, it has nothing to do with you." Wingdings quirked a brow. "Then how may I assist so my friend can be at my side side again?" Did Wingdings even know what he was saying- "There is nothing that can be done, not until summer." Wingdings hummed as he looked out the window. "Ah, right! I feel like a fool. You are living fire, of course snow would be a problem..." Wingdings grumbled to himself in irritation. "Such a fool.." Grillby waved his hands. "No, no! It's quite alright! Don't worry about it Dings!" Wingdings blinked owlishly. "Dings...?" Wingdings shook his skull. "You know what, nevermind."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Wingdings stayed around to hang out since Grillby couldn't be in the snow. "You can go do your studies you know, I'll be fine alone." Grillby murmured. Wingdings looked up from his exploration of Grillby's house. Taking a mental note of every detail. "I have already begun a study, my friend." Wingdings replied in common. "How a phobia can affect the soul. I recognize this behavior from Kazar, who fears the cold. You cannot get cold though, seeing as you are literally made of fire. So the more obvious answer is water, am I correct?" Grillby went quiet as Wingdings looked at him. The Skeleton sighed. "Grillby... we all have our fears, and I know from experience that a good many of them are trauma related. For instance, I have a fear of dogs. As an infant, I was attacked and Kazar saved me, but the fear is still there." Wingdings explained as he held up his hands. "Due to their being dog monsters I must face this fear daily, so I know how to tolerate the animal." Grillby hesitated. "You... want me to tolerate water?" Wingdings sat beside Grillby, placing a hand on his back. "I want to help you to learn as I helped Kazar and Kazar helped me, yes."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

Wingdings went out the next day to buy water resistant items that would suit Grillby's style. Black water resistant pants and boots, water resistant gloves that went up the arms, an umbrella that was water AND fire resistant, etc. Wingdings knew that when it came to fear, these things took time, but having the equipment around to encourage him was always a must. He knew that he was taking valuable time away from his studies, but he found himself not caring in the least. Grillby came first. His needs came first. "Here we go then. When you are feeling bold enough, you have the necessary equipment to step out for a bit or wash the dishes or something like that." Wingdings tucked away the boots by the door and the gloves under the sink. He folded up the pants and placed them where Grillby could put them away. "Shouldn't you be in your lab? I'm alright for the winter, seriously." Wingdings crossed his arms. "I'm not leaving you alone. I will either assist you in your phobia or keep you company for the winter."

⚜️⚜️⚜️

"I both love and despise your stubbornness, Dings." Grillby grinned as they flipped their cards. The game was war. Wingdings groaned. "When did you come up with that ridiculous nickname?" Grillby chuckled. "You don't like?" He mused. "Wing, I can understand, but Dings? Why in the name of science Dings?" Grillby laughed. "I like Dings. It's cu- I think it suits you." He hoped Wingdings hadn't noticed his near slip up. Wingdings did. A purple hue came into his cheekbones as he pushed his card to Grillby. "You're winnings, my friend.." Grillby took the card. "Another round?" Wingdings smiled a little. "Why not? We have all winter to play." Wingdings reminded the Flame Elemental. "Wait, you're not kidding about that? But your research-"
"Can wait until summer returns. Research is no fun without my best assistant at my side." Grillby's flames turned pink. "I don't know anything about science though..." Wingdings chuckled this time. "Which is what makes it fun. I get to teach you." Grillby rolled his 'eyes' in amusement. "Alright, alright. I get it, you're not leaving me alone."