Why a topic is endless

"You're pretty." The boy who had nearly knocked me over huffed a breath as he steadied himself. His mouth fell agape, and his big doe eyes grew the longer he stood there.

I can admit the look on his face caught me off guard only for a moment. The distracted awe covered his features, causing me to stutter, before clearing my throat and replying, "Excuse me?" I grimaced slightly, "I know I'm young, but you shouldn't talk to me that way."

To my surprise, the boy blushed, "I just wanted you to know." He musters a much more confident smile.

"James! Come on then!" Another boy with long, black curls called from the courtyard. He turned to his friends, sneering as they began to snicker.

James' face reddened once again, but he winked and ran off. I frowned deeply and returned to my walk toward the classrooms.

I went to Ilvermorny and decided I wanted a change. So, my teacher connected me with Professor McGonagall. As a result, I would be shadowing Professor Sprout.

It was being announced tonight in the dining hall, and I dreaded the thought. Students have been eyeing me, wondering if I was a transfer student. I worry it will foreshadow how the students shall treat me as Pomona's assistant.

xXx

My chair was mismatched, and I felt like an appeased child. As Dumbledore began a speech, I wiped my hands on my dress and took a deep breath. Nervous about making eye contact with the teens of Hogwarts, I kept my eyes down.

"Miss Y/N L/N," At the sound of my name, my eyes jolt up, and I see his hand outstretched toward me. The clapping rouses me to stand. As I do, I nearly knock my drink over. I quickly grab it, blushing and looking back up.

A familiar head of curly, messy hair, unintentionally, catches my eye. James is smirking, seemingly clapping vigorously. He winks and his smirk grows.

I am twenty years old and trying to intern to teach a bunch of teenagers. On what planet could they possibly take me seriously? "You look stressed." I jump at the voice beside me.

James is leaning against the stone wall of the castle as the students file out. "Oh, no," I smile, shaking my head, "I'm just fine."

I continued to walk and he stayed beside me, "I don't believe you." He falls into step next to me. I don't understand why I was so focused on his sleeve brushing mine.

"Shouldn't you be off to the dormitory now?" I question him.

"Your hair," he murmurs. I stop, turning to him, "it's wild." While he has a soft little smile gracing his lips, my eyebrows furrow deeper.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Your hair is telling me you are stressed." He then reaches up and tucks a hair away that had been sticking up. I smooth my hair down subconsciously. "What's up?"

"Fine," I huff, "I am worried the students aren't going to take me seriously like some people." I raise my eyebrows to emphasize the past words.

James smirks, "I can't speak for everybody, but I feel a few will be taking you seriously." He looks past me, and his smile grows, "exhibit A."

I turned, and a redhead made her way to us, "Potter, you better not be scaring her off!" She says lowly with narrowed eyes.

"I could never!" He holds his chest in mock offense.

She faintly grumbles, before turning to me with a sweet, little smile, "Hello, Miss L/N," I blink, prior to smiling, "I would love to talk with you about the process conducted to get this job."

I smile and glance at James to see him smirking. When he catches my eyes, he nods me along, "I would love to." I answered, and we began walking and discussing a multitude of topics.

Somehow, as I walked her back to the Gryffindor tower, more like her showing me its location, we stumbled on the topic of James, "You know James?" She lightly queried, curiously as we began climbing the staircase.

"Oh, no," I began, "we have just bumped into each other a few times."

She tries to hide it, but her eyes roll slightly, "I know James Potter, and he doesn't just accidentally bump into people." She folds her hands in front of her as she thinks, "He used to be an absolute prat and arrogant." She rolls her eyes again, "he still is, just less so. He has matured," She gave a restrained breath as we stopped in front of the portrait, "but he is still James Potter, moral being; watch out for that boy and his mates."

I smile a bit as she sighs after her rant, "thank you, Miss Evans, I appreciate it." I nod but think nothing of it as I have no interest in the student.

xXx

I stood off to the side as Professor Sprout taught the students how to transplant Bubotuber plants. I write something down that I find interesting about the way she teaches.

In a loud gaggle, the students began working with the plants. I walk around and assist the students when a brown-haired girl entered the room. "Miss Prewett!" Pomona announces with a smile on her face. "How can I help you?"

The girl smiles back with a soft, kind glimmer in her eyes, "Professor Slughorn would like some ingredients if he could." She explains with a delicate voice, with an almost powerful undertone.

"Of course! I'm sure you know what you need. You can go ahead and bring Miss L/N with you."

"So, you are from America? What is that like?" Alice asks as we make our way to the next greenhouse over.

I hold my hands in front of me, "It's okay, mostly the same, less proper." I laugh slightly, and she smiles.

I help her cut some Alihotsy leaves, "Frank likes to say James has to have everyone in his life." She murmurs, causing me to glance over. I return to my work and ponder why James is a topic that always comes up around me. "But I think he just has an eye for all the best people." She murmurs, closing the jar of Alihotsy leaves. "Thank you, Miss L/N."