What brings respect

I sit at my mismatched chair for lunch and look out at the students, eyes wavering on the Gryffindor table. I began eating the burger that had appeared on my plate. I slightly tune in to the conversation Madam Pince and Sprout were having off to the side.

"They turned all the books green," Pince grumbled lowly, hands on her wide hips. Her lips pressed in a thin line, "blue last week."

Sprout had an amused twinkle gleaming in her eyes even as she frowned, "those boys keep us running ragged."

I return to my food, picking at the french fries. A loud screech resonated through the room and all heads fly to look for its source. The spectators only have a split second, before their food flies into their faces. I sit back and stare down at my plate, but nothing happens. I look down the table at Flitwick wiping pastry jelly off his glasses and Kettleburn is laughing as he pulls spaghetti out of his hair,

I look around confused, it had happened to everyone, but me. My eyes fall on the familiar figure leaning against the entrance, I can barely make out the smirk that is dancing upon his lips as he looks at his peers. Black is leaning against him grinning and speaking quickly.

"And of course, there they are, admiring their handiwork, no doubt," I overhear Hooch say to the others.

I guess I hadn't noticed it before as the boys didn't take any Herbology electives. Listening to the teachers' mutter about all the problems they cause and the prank I had just witnessed, I suppose I am just realizing the mischief of the boys. "Miss L/N, won't you see if you can manage to escort them to Professor McGonagall?" Pamona asks and I nod.

I walk up and try to ignore the way James looks at me as I do. I smooth down the maroon sweater I had on and look down for a moment at my wide-leg pants. I was always unsure of what to wear here, muggle fashion and wizard fashion are much different and it's hard to walk both lines. I clear my throat, "Mr. Black, Mr, Pettigrew, Mr. Lupin," I glance over at James and his name feels different now, "James, I have been asked to escort you to McGonagall's office."

"As much as I love dear Minnie," Sirius begins to reject me, but James cuts him off.

"We'll go," He shoves Sirius a bit, and they both glare at each other.

"What is with you about her?" I hear Sirius whisper loudly to James. "Like, I know she's hot, but-Ow!" He screeches and I turn to see him rubbing his cheek.

I turn back around with a sigh, "Just get used to it." I overhear James say, ending their shortlived conversation.

When we arrive in her office she glances up with a bemused expression already etched into her face, "of course, please sit, Mr. Potter, Mr. Black," She then looks at me with a kind smile, "there are some books on that shelf about Transfiguration and Herbology combined. Therefore, I thought you might enjoy them, Miss L/N, thank you."

I beam at her, "thank you, Professor McGonagall." I move over to the books, examining the top one for a moment.

"I thought you boys had learned your lesson by now. James, a head boy does not participate in such antics." McGonagall spoke in a grim manner and for a moment, it made me hesitate.

Sirius speaks easily, "It isn't him anymore Minnie, just me."

I gather the books in my arms, heading swiftly toward the door, and before it could be shut I made eye contact with James. The little smile he gave me made my stomach twist.

xXx

I pull my knit hat back down over my ears as another gust of wind blew briskly through me. It was Autumn and officially had dropped in temperature. The weather was perfect for sweaters and hats, and the alive feeling I get when the cool air presses against my face. I study the water that had covered my black boot from the wet grass, thinking for a moment about nothing, but everything at the same time. The bottoms of my flare pants were growing heavy with water.