▪︎Chapter 01▪︎

Cure for detective's boredom
(Trigger warnings: cursing, blood, violence)

~

The young detective was sitting in his office, staring up at the floor. Wait, up at the floor? The whole world was upside down... literally. Ranpo huffed in annoyance. He couldn't seem to find a way to kill his boredom and sitting on his office chair with head downwards and legs up on the armrest seemed like a great idea to him.

That was his character flaw. He either had a sudden boost of motivation and energy or complete opposite of being tired and demotivated to the point when even breathing seemed too hard for him. Both of these moods shared one thing, and that was the fact that when it starts, it can not be stopped until it switches to the second one. Sometimes however Ranpo found himself in the middle, which was the most annoying thing ever.
He either was full of ideas, but too exhausted to make them happen, or he was full of energy to do something, but didn't know what to do.

This flaw not only affect him, but the whole Agency as well. When Ranpo was tired or demotivated and he had some criminal case to solve, they had to find someone else to do it - the hardest part being making up reasonable excuse why the number one detective didn't show up -. When Ranpo's energy boost comes, he did whatever came to his mind from doing paperwork for others to almost robbing local candy shops and bakeries. The scenarios when he tried to find something to spend his energy on but didn't know what it should be were the worst and most terrifying so far.
Once he decided to take online Spanish class and no one understood what he was saying, because he put his new gained skills to work right away and denied to translate his words to Japanese for his poor colleagues.
Or last week he and Kenji decided to buy a cow and brought it into the Agency. Trauma from Kunikida's two hour speech full of yelling and cursing stuck with all three of them to this day - Kenji and Ranpo sometimes being too scared to even look at him, and Kunikida losing his voice and becoming victim of Dazai's pranks and other kinds of annoying that some could even consider torture, because there was no longer a risk for Dazai to lose his hearing from Kunikida's yelling that would certainly come afterwards -.

Ranpo sight deeply and pulled out a gun and loaded it.
"Ranpo-san... is everything okay?" Atsushi asked with shaking voice. Even Dazai seemed to get up from his comfortable sofa and look at what was going on.
"Yes, I am fine..." Ranpo said with only little of emotion in his voice and held the gun up in the air to face the ceiling.
"Are you su-" Atsushi didn't even finish his sentence because Ranpo began shooting at the ceiling. His colleagues were very confused to say at least. Atsushi began shaking, Kenji prayed for Ranpo's sanity, Dazai went from confused to impressed, Yosano sight like a disappointed mother, Tanizaki and his sister left the room for sake of their safety and Kunikida could only manage to let out some kind of shreaks because his voice still didn't heal. Ranpo didn't really care about any of those reactions. He just wanted to finish what he has started.
He stopped and threw away the gun after shooting the shape of a smiley face in the cieling. He just stared at it, thinking how strange forms his boredom can have. His thoughts were so strong, he didn't even hear Kunikida trying to yell at him while slamming his desk.

Ranpo's green eyes stared deeply into smiley's eyes that were represented by holes from bullets. The smiley he shot out seemed happy. Ranpo got thinking when was the last time someone made him also look this happy. He didn't have to think for long, because name of that person always stood on his mind.
Edgar Allan Poe.
That was the name of person that could lit up his world no matter how dark it seemed.
There wasn't a second Ranpo didn't regret breaking him and tearing his whole mentality apart.
Happy... what did make him happy beside Edgar?
Winning... praise from Fukuzawa... friends... snacks...