▪︎Chapter 06▪︎

The day off

~

"Where has the world come to?" Kunikida mumbled to himself, as he watched Dazai sing his suicidal song for the fourth time in a row; it was a morning ritual of his, or any other part of the day really.
He sight and cleared his throat before making his announcement, even if he didn't fully support it final conclusion or at least person the conclusion was directed to. But who was he to question or even disagree with President's decisions?
"Dear Armed Detective Agency, I have to make an announcement, so please give me bit of your time." tall blonde male started his serious speech. Majority of his coworkers and even some secretaries stopped working and payed attention to him; even Ranpo put search for an interesting homicide case aside and faced him.
Yet as assumed, one specific bandaged brunette didn't care at all; he probably didn't even catch Kunikida's words in a first place.
'Of course that bandage waste couldn't hear be because of those damn headphones-'
Kunikida approached Dazai and smashed the headphones off of brunette's head, using rolled up newspaper, without giving it a second thought. Hitting Dazai was basically part of his job ever since the two first met, so punch wasn't anything unordinary to them; it was basically the same as saying hello at that point.
Dazai didn't even flinch at Kunikida's act and looked up to meet his eyes.
"Ow." he said with only little of emotion. "There are better ways of saying good morning to your colleague, you know." Dazai stated bitterly.
"I already did, and if you even bothered to notice, I'm making an announcement here. Besides, if there is one person that should listen to it the most, it would be you." Kunikida huffed.
"Why?" Dazai made a fake curious look.
Kunikida decided not to lose more braincells by arguing with him any further and continued on in making an announcement.

"As you may have noticed - if not, be ashamed -, that Boss went off for a business trip to Tokyo. You've probably already figured, that we'll need someone to take his place for the time being, a representative." Kunikida explained, getting attention of pretty much all current listeners.
"Did President say who exactly?" Naiomi asked curiously.
"Indeed." Kunikida nodded.
"It'll better be Ranpo or you." Dazai muttered as he moved to his working desk and started folding an unfilled report into some kind of origami. Atsushi that sat by his right side just sight at that.
"It can't be me. Fuku knows that I'm very irresponsible person." Ranpo denied and unwrapped a chocolate bar.

Kunikida cleaned his throat again to get back attention of the workers.
"Since we and Port Mafia have a temporary peace, Boss decided to higher someone who used to work with the Port Mafia and therefore will be able to bargain with them and it's leader more successfuly if situation needed that. So, from now on until President's return, his representative will be Dazai Osamu."
Dazai simply nodded and put his headphones around his neck.

The reactions were mix of emotions.
Some were cheering, some didn't even know why, but still decided on joining in slowclap for Dazai. Some were shocked or even scared. There was also couple of "Wait, he used to be with Mafia?!" exclamations.
"No way! Who could have thought? Osamu with Mafia- what?!" Ranpo played suprised. Dazai's past career was obvious to him from the day one. It took no detective skills to notice how much he was alike with the Mafia boss himself - Insted of facing the issues properly and making an effort to fix it, Dazai did it the fastest and easiest way, yet still effectively. He used this method in majority of situations he was faced with, especially if it came to people, who's emotions Dazai didn't seem to understand at all, leaving Ranpo with only three possible options: He either was a rare case of some kind of mental disorder that allowed him to still feel little of emotion himself, but feel no mercy and empathy for others OR it was some kind of traumatic experience or stress from behind faced with such a cruel conditions that Mafia had. In the worst case, the misfortune being was both. -.