▪︎Chapter 14▪︎

The suicide by the Marine Tower
(season 4 spoilers - primarily characters -, suicide, gore)

~

When God has blessed you with an unique power, something out of human limits, something that makes you special, it should be a good thing. Of course it should! Anyone would be happy to have an ability. You could use it to crate greater good.
Maybe someone else could, but I can't...
The gift of mine is a curse, a curse that followed me through my whole life, curse that made me abused, be used as a tool and mentally scared with wounds that can never heal. And yet there was no escape from it. No escape exept for one.

Death.

Another thing that has been following me ever since I've discovered my 'amazing' ability. Yet not exactly in an ordinary way. Death wasn't my enemy nor my companion. No, it was just there, tied to my gift.

Ability to erase evidence of any crime. Robbery, arson, break in or the favorite - murder. Anything. Any evidence will be destroyed as soon as I activate my gift. Pretty useful huh?
Yet also a one way direct ticket to the life of misery.

I can't take it... I just can't continue like this-

...

"The view is amazing up here, isn't it?"

"It sure is. But I wouldn't stand so close to the railing if I were you. Be careful."

"If I were you? No... No you aren't me, you can't be. No one can be a burden like me... Not even myself."

"What-? No- put that gun down! What are you doing?! NO!!"

-

"Yeah, that is a dumbass story." Ranpo brushed Tanizaki's words off as if he has never even said them.
"Well- Yes, it does sound kinda sketchy but they really looked like they were telling the truth. I think we should hear them out." the young ginger said, ruffling the sleeves of his baggy t-shirt in his hands.
"Jun'ichorō-kun... Guy that blew his brains out before jumping off of the Marine Tower is non of my business. And a closed case on top of that. Even normal policeman like Minoura can call up dudes to identify the body. I have a crossword to solve." Ranpo dismissed Jun'ichirō again with a carefree gesture of his hand.

Yosano looked at the poor boy in front of Ranpo's desk.
"It is hopeless, Jun'ichirō. That witness has been knocking on our door since the very morning and none of us has time to take care of his case." Yosano placed her hand on Tanizaki's shoulder. "And don't take Ranpo's words with too much value to them, he's just stubborn and grumpy because he can't slack off and spend time with his little friend." she smirked in direction of Ranpo's table.
"For the record, I heard that. And first, no I don't want to slack off unless there is an acual case to solve. What can I do about the suicide? Nothing. At least nothing normal police force couldn't take care of." Ranpo said with tone that reflected how unimpressed he was, yet not mad about anything at all. "I get that he is probably traumatized from witnessing such s horrid scene, but we really have nothing to investigate. Someone was just having a bad day and decided to kill themselves. End of story." the detective said and hid his face behind the fresh newspaper that couldn't be missing a title about the recent suicide.

"I have a few words to say-"
"No Osamu. You don't."
"Don't be so mean, Kunikida. I, as someone familiar with situations like these, just wanted to say that suicide doesn't necessarily have to be a result of a 'bad day', but it also can be-"
"Not everyone tries to kill themselves just for fun in any given moment, Dazai!" the blonde yelled from his desk, making Atsushi that just carried bunch of papers beside him flinch. Kunikida unlike Ranpo lost his temper really easily that day.
Dazai gave Kunikida a glare, but decided not to invest in the conversation anymore.