Five

Five

Eliana's POV

"Alright, here you go hon, you just have to wear this on the premises so everyone knows you've been cleared." The secretary handed me a visitor sticker with the blurry picture I just took printed on it with my name next to it. "You can follow me." She smiled, rounding the counter and holding the door open for me to exit the front office.

She made small conversation as we walked through the halls lined with lockers. Her perfume left a strong scented trail as she walked, hitting my nose instantly. I didn't mind though, it was somewhat comforting, a foreign yet familiar smell.

I got off of work an hour early and Harry offered for me to go to his school and wait for him to get off. I didn't mind, I was excited to see him in his work element. I see how he interacts with Maeve but I'm interested to see how he interacts with hormonal, puberty ridden teenagers.

"Room 207, here we are." She smiled, knocking on the door three times before entering when Harry called for us to come in. His eyes locked on mine and a smile spread on his face.

"Har-ry, you've got a vi-si-tor." Mrs.Smith sang out.

"Thank you, Barbara." He smiles at the older woman, "Do me a favor, go ahead and add her to my list of allowed visitors." He said to her softly, patting her shoulder.

"You've got it, hon. Don't forget we have a faculty meeting tomorrow after school.. Don't worry, I'll bring snacks to get us through." She laughed, shooting him a wink.

"Oh Barbara, what would I do without you?" Harry grinned at her, holding his hand over his heart. Barbara let out a small cackle, slapping Harry's shoulder before exiting the room, giving me a small wave goodbye.

"Hi." He smiled at me, his hand landing on my back and pushing me towards the front of the class. "Class, this is Ms.Richards." He introduced me to the classroom full of teenagers.

They all smiled and waved, a wave of hello's echoed through the room.

"She's just going to be observing the last bit of our class today, feel free to talk to her, just don't be weird." Harry scrunched his nose, causing the class to chuckle to themselves. Harry ushered me to his desk, telling me to take a seat before he went back to teaching.

I took this time to look around the classroom. It's definitely not how I expected his classroom to look, not that I was expecting it to look a certain way. It's just when people think of male teachers, they don't really expect them to care much about what the classroom itself looks like.

I was surprised to see the classroom was somewhat decorated and the surroundings were giving off very vintage vibes. Newspaper seemed to be a bit of a theme throughout the classroom, his bulletin boards were lined with newspapers underneath the stapled papers. Fairy lights were strung at the top of the boards. The back corner of the room was lined with two large bookshelves, overflowing with books. Two brown leather bean bags sat in front of the shelves on top of a brown rug.

The whiteboard behind where Harry stood had a rainbow of script written all over it with expo markers.

Date, agenda, upcoming due dates.

Quote of the day.

That caught my attention.

Quote of the day:

"People destined to meet will do so, apparently by chance, at precisely the right moment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I must have read and reread the writing at least 10 times. I'd never heard of the quote before and I was drawn to it. I guess it did its purpose if it made me think about it. What an odd quote to present to high school English classes.