Fifteen

Eliana's POV

3 weeks till the surgery

It's been a while since I've found the time to write. Actually, I should say it's been a while since I've found the desire to write. There's something about putting pen to paper that makes everything feel so real.

I guess undeniably real.

I am having brain surgery in exactly three weeks.

In light of the heavy procedure and the recovery to follow, Harry and I decided to bite the bullet. He's moving in. How wild is that? Are things moving considerably fast with us? Yes. Honestly, nothing felt more right though. After my dinner with Lyla we both sat down once I got home and had our own conversation. Somehow the conversation ended with both of us agreeing that it would be best for all of us if Harry just moved into the house.

It's exciting and terrifying all at once.

I've found myself on the road to defeating cancer for the second time in my life. I just hope that this time I'll find a way off.

Just as I shut my journal, Maeve burst into my home office holding the Roomba in her small hands. The room was in disarray as I cleared out half of the space to make room for Harry's belongings. He had mentioned having a large collection of books, and although I wasn't sure if he meant 50 or 200, I wanted to be prepared for the latter. Being an English teacher, it was only natural for him to have an extensive library.

"Hey, Maeve, could you drag that basket over here?" I pointed towards a woven basket tucked away in the corner, filled with a stack of old books I no longer wanted. Maeve tugged at the basket, attempting to move it a few inches before giving up and shaking her head at me.

I chuckled at her earnest effort, pushing myself up from the carpeted floor. "Thanks for trying," I said, scrunching my nose at her playfully. Hunching over, I reached out to grasp the weighty basket, intending to lift it off the ground. However, as I lifted it about a foot off the floor, a sudden jolt of pain shot through my head, causing me to drop the basket instinctively.

My hand quickly sought the nearby wall for support as my head throbbed with a sharp pang of pain.

"Mommy?" Maeve's concerned voice sounded from beside me. I could feel her small hand resting on my back as I squeezed my eyes shut tightly. The pain in my head was overwhelming, and I lowered myself onto the ground, pressing my hands against my temples in an attempt to alleviate some of the throbbing. Maeve's voice reached my ears, but the words were muffled and unintelligible. The pain demanded my full attention, rendering me temporarily disconnected from the world.

A second voice echoed in the background and it wasn't until a strong pair of hands pulled me off the floor did I come back to reality. I kept my eyes squeezed shut as my body was engulfed in the undeniable arms of Harry.

"What happened, Maeve?" Harry's voice, laced with concern, broke through the haze of pain. I could sense Maeve stumbling over her words as she tried to explain what had just transpired. Harry gently guided me onto the couch, his touch tenderly pushing my hair away from my face. "Come on, my darling. Look at me. Open your eyes, baby," he whispered, his fingers grazing my cheeks in a soothing manner, coaxing me to open my eyes.

Reluctantly, I complied, the ringing in my ears subsiding slightly. My head still throbbed relentlessly, and as I opened my eyes, I was met with the wide-eyed gazes of Harry and Maeve.

"I'm okay," I croaked, my voice strained. "I think I just stood up too fast," I mumbled, trying to downplay the severity of the situation. I knew it was worse than I was letting on.

Harry shook his head, concern etched on his face. "No more lifting for you. You should have waited for me to return," he scolded gently, his slight frown betraying his worry.