𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨: 𝐓𝐨𝐟𝐮

It had been a week since Xiao took care of the feline, he attempted to release the fox, but every single time it would run back to him.

Whether it be on quests he took care of, such as fighting a ruin guard that terrorized a few travelers, or even just going back to Wangshu Inn to rest. The fox was always at his heel.

At one point, Xiao used his vanishing skill to try and get away, but the fox sniffed him out quickly.

He sighed, glaring down at the feline that sat at his feet, looking up at him innocently. Verr Goldet requested him to go pick up the order of groceries from Liyue Harbor.

However, with this critter around it would either draw a lot of attention—which he hates— or get lost. Xiao doesn't know why he cares if the fox got lost, especially since he has been trying so hard to get the fox to go back into the wild.

"You better behave." Xiao lifted the fox up by tuff on the back of the neck. Teleporting to the harbor.

He dropped the fox to the ground, going down the path and into Liyue. The fox was quick to catch up to the adeptus. It's eyes wandered around, taking in all the new sights. It even tried to stray away from the path to cause mischief, but the

"Oh, Xiao?" A familiar voice spoke. In front of the vendor where Xiao needed to pick up the order, was Ningguang and Ganyu. "I never expected to see you here."

Xiao clicked his tongue, looking away. "Verr Goldet asked for a favor, nothing more. I don't wish to be here."

Ganyu shyly smiled and waved to him, but her eyes quickly caught the mysterious companion he had. "Did you get a pet?"

Xiao sighed heavily, glaring down at the fox, which had grown accustomed to his glares. "This brat won't leave me alone. I found it last week, it never wants to leave."

Ninnguang put a hand to her chin, her composure going from friendly to serious. "A solid white fox with symmetrical patterns?" She bent down and lifted its small body into her arms.

"It is quite young as well. Xiao, I suggest you keep an eye on this little fox. Catchers or Trappers have taken out their race, especially since they stay hidden. They would do anything to get ahold of your little friend here. Their pelt is quiet a treasure amongst the black market."

"It isn't my friend."

"So you say?" She narrowed her eyes to him. "A wild animal does not easily accompany a human, much less anyone with celestial energy such as yourself. You say it won't leave you alone?"

"Not at all." Xiao scoffed. "Even when I teleport, or try to scare it, the thing comes rushing back to my heel."

Ningguang put the fox in his arms, a smile spreading across her face. "Well, once an animal picks a person or object, it never leaves unless... well, that you don't need to know. This little fox of yours won't be leaving any time soon, so you have to get used to having a companion now."

"It would be suitable for you, as the only adepti left." Ganyu commented, but after receiving a glare from the male she stiffened and turned away. "Lady Ningguang, you have a business meeting soon."

The woman reached forward, gently stroking the head of the fox. "I hope that they become a dependable companion for you, Xiao."

The adepti shook his head, walking past them to the vendor. "Order for Verr Goldet."

'There's no way this thing would stay around. I have a duty to fulfill, it will leave eventually.'

Throughout the day, Xiao had put much thought into what Ningguang told him.

He rolled onto his side, looking across his room. Verr has always allowed him to use one of the inn rooms as his own, so it officially became his years ago.

The kitsune laid curled up in the corner, nothing to lay on except the cold, wooden floor. It used its tail to try and provide its own warmth.

"Hey, you." Xiao called quietly. The fox perked up, ears forward. "Come over here."

The fox ran over, hesitantly jumping up onto the bed. Xiao didn't know why he was doing this. He held the fox up above him, staying silent just for a bit.

"Tofu."

The fox tilted its head, communicating that it was confused by the yaksha.

"Your name." Xiao set the fox onto his chest, gently stroking its back. "Your name shall be Tofu."

The fox, newly named Tofu, wagged its tail in excitement. Tofu pounced onto his face, licking his cheeks without mercy or a second thought.

"H-hey!" Xiao yelled, a vein popping out of his forehead as he held the fox away from him. "Stupid fox! Do that again and I'll turn you into almond tofu."

The fox made a laughing noise, wiggling out of his grasp. Tofu laid down beside him, pressing into his arm as much as they could.

Xiao grunted, closing his eyes to get a little bit of sleep. He felt the nine tails cover his torso, providing some extra coverage, similar to the blanket that was around his waist.

The warmth and purrs from the kitsune lulled him into a comfortable, peaceful sleep.

One that isn't tainted with nightmares, or cruel memories. A nice, pleasant dream that brought him pure bliss.

Unedited

BONUS:
Xiao felt a bit bad that Tofu sleeps on the floor, but he quickly learned after that night that if you don't let Tofu cuddle against you, they become a bed hog.