If It Were Anybody Else

The moments from an hour ago have disintegrated, and Varian is now being driven back to the dorms by a slightly tipsy Eugene. He doesn't think that's the safest thing, but honestly what's the worst that could happen?

"Hey kid?" Eugene starts, calm and quiet.

"Yeah?" Varian responds, mimicking the quiet volume.

"I don't want you getting too close to that roommate of yours. I know he's cute or whatever you're thinking, but just don't. Bro dropped a piano on my fucking head." And he says it so nonchalantly, as if it's a normal thing that happens every Tuesday afternoon.

Varian, choosing to ignore the cute comment, is actually intrigued.

"I'm sorry, a whole ass piano??"

"YES! About two years back a few of my buddies and I were at some gig when we still had Sweet Chaos, and he was helping move in our equipment. Problem was there was this huge piano on the stage and we had to move it, and some DUMBASS decided to trust a kid with a crane carrying a piano. But I swear it was intentional, that bastard had it hovering RIGHT over my head and there is absolutely NO WAY it was accidental."

"How did you not die!?"

"It actually wasn't that heavy. And I was wearing a helmet-"

"Gene why the fuck were you wearing a helmet."

"I just got in from outside and I rode in my motorcycle! What, you want me to drive unsafely?"

"Dude there is literally no way you survived a piano being dropped on your goddamn head."

"I was high."

"That literally does not justify your survival."

"Does to me! Anyway yeah, it might be a great bar story but seriously don't get too close to that kid. He's bad news. He was even a big thief back in his hometown."

That actually made a lot of sense. Seems like the kind of guy. Fox like.

"Well, that's just a rumor. But still," Eugene presses on.

"Yeah yeah don't get too close," Varian finishes for him. They're outside the building now. "Can I be free from my hostage situation?" He asks in an over exaggerated tone.

"Oh shut up you love us."

"Do I?" He obviously does.

"Get out kid." Varian shoots him a two fingered salute, and gets out of the car. He waves as Eugene drives off, and then proceeds to enter the building.

He looks at his phone. 11:49 pm.

Shit! The curfew is at 12:00, would they enforce it on the first day? Probably not, but Varian still picks up his pace making his way to the elevator and eventually his room.

He walks in and Hugo is nowhere to be seen, but it seems he unpacked. His bed is now dressed with black sheets that barely peak out beneath all the blankets on it. Varian counts four. Guess he gets cold.

Varian observes Hugo's side of the room more. He put up fake vines , and he has a record player sitting on his desk. So he's one of those.

There's also two shelves on the wall above his bed side by side. One of them has a bunch of books on it, and Varian swears he sees a Nancy Drew volume.

The other has-

IS THAT A FUCKING CAGE!?

It's a cage. There's not even anything in it! Varian kind of grunts. Why would Hugo have a cage for no reason.

He looks over to the night stand to see a lamp with a sage lampshade and a framed picture of Luke Bryan. Jesus Christ.

There's also a goldish looking ball of what looks like fuzz. Yarn?