Eyes of Love - Prologue

"Tender is the night for a broken heart, who will dry your eyes when it falls apart?" 

- Space Song by Beach House 

My lips trembled slightly as I gripped tightly to my black umbrella. It was foggy out, the gray clouds loomed over the scene covering the sun. The wind whispered quietly in my ear. I held my breath.

"Thank you all for coming to help celebrate Charlie Levine's life and to share our grief of his passing." The priest began. I stared into the darkness of the casket lying before me, as raindrops splattered at the top and trickled down; finally realizing the reality of what was happening. My mother, who was standing beside me, began to cry. But I didn't. I stared motionless at the somber casket of my brother. My heart ached with unbearable pain; as if thousands of needles were stabbing at it over and over.

Sometimes I still get glimpses of the night it happened; Glimpses of things I want to forget, things I've buried deep inside me. I try so very hard to not remember the night my once loving family shattered and crumbled into a million pieces. The night my older brother, who had only been 18 at the time, Charlie died in the hospital after the crash. That night had been the only time I ever saw my dad cry. Almost every night if I hadn't already fallen asleep, a black figure of my darkest thoughts touches my shoulder and cries,

"It should have been you."

I have this feeling of guilt in my chest knowing it was my fault, guilt that seems to never leave me alone. If I hadn't been there in the car distracting him while he was driving, maybe he wouldn't have crashed into the lamp post. Maybe we would have still been a happy family like we once were.