Chapter Seventeen: Blinded By The Beauty

"So I'll lock you up before I circle too, never thought that I could ever fall for you. Broken love but paper heart; I'm true 'cause then you'll love that, I'm falling for you"

- falling for you by  BoyWithUke

I was sitting on one of the logs by the lit campfire. The firepit was in the grass away from the pool. Myles was sitting by the fire with me, the flames reflecting in his glasses. I had changed out of my costume, Lily let me borrow one of her tee shirts and a pair of sweatpants. Though, I was getting cold. Lily and James were still wearing their costumes, but Itsuki changed out of his. He was wearing a black hoodie and black pants. James had Lily's pink apron over him as he flipped the patties on the grill. Lily started talking to him, and since he was distracted Itsuki took over and flipped them instead. I looked back at the fire, the wood crackled by the heat of the flames.

"Are you excited for prom?" Myles asked me. I shrugged.

"Not really. I'm not planning on going." I sighed through my nose. He ran his fingers through his hair. "When is it?" I asked, turning my head towards him. He stretched his arms and then rested them on his knees.

"November 10th, I think." He replied.

"Oh, that's like a week and a bit." I said, turning back to the fire.

"Yeah." He said through a sigh. A few minutes pass of the two of us just staring at the fire. "Hey Abby," Myles said.

"Yeah?"

"Would you mind going to prom with me?" He asked. I turned to him with confusion at his sudden proposal.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Well you're uh..." He trails off, not having an answer. "You're, pretty?" He said.

"Really?" I leaned closer to him.

"Uh, yes?"

I sit up straight and cross my arms.

"Tell me the real reason." I stated. He sighed.

"Fine." He runs his fingers through his hair again. "I'm not... like other guys, you know." He says kind of quietly.

"Is that so?" I asked him. He sighed and nodded. "Why?"

"Well," He takes a breath, "I like guys."

Silence.

I gave him a confused look.

"Then why would you ask a girl to prom?" I replied. He seemed kind of star struck at my response to him coming out.

"Wait, you don't care that I like guys?" He asked.

"Of course not, I mean, I like guys too," I shrugged.

"But I'm gay, I'm a homosexual." He continued, still being confused.

"Again, I don't care, I am too."

"You're gay? I thought you just said you like guys," He said, being even more confused.

"I'm bisexual."

"Oh I see." He nodded. I sighed, shaking my head with a smile.

"So why did you ask me to prom?" I repeated my question.

"Well, the thing is I really want to go to prom. But, I don't want to go there by myself. I guess I could just ask out a guy, but our school isn't really for lgbtq+." He sighed.

"Oh that makes sense." I nodded. "Okay sure, I'll go with you." I told him. He smiled.

"Thanks."

Myles was on his phone sitting on a tree stump, Lily and James were sitting on a log together talking and smiling. James was eating his burger, but he got a bit of ketchup in the corner of his mouth. I was about to tell him when Lily suddenly perked up.