Apple Custard Pie

"Thank you, please come again!" Colette says. The customer — a middle-aged woman — takes her bags and leaves the gift shop without a word.

"Yo, that's the third person today!" Colette gasps.

"I told you — it's grocery logic," Edgar says. "But wow, I'm still shook."

"It's so weird seeing it happen." Colette picks up a stick of Strawberry BBGum from the mini rack on their counter. "We didn't sell this much when they were on the shelves, but put them here and now they're making bank. Maybe we shouldn't have shelves at all."

"Lol. Maybe we should put the porter plushies here too."

"Aw, maybe..." Spike's her MVP forever, but she's starting to feel bad for the porter plushies too. That said, she's more than okay with hoarding all the merch.

Forever.

"Do you like BBGum?" She asks him.

"'S cool," he nods. "I like the classic flavor."

"Nice! A classic choice, actually." A Soft Super Splash of Strawberry! the stick of gum reads. "'Man, I want something sweet now."

"Steal it." Edgar raises a thumbs up. As if. She's not gonna use the tip jar either, Griff's been catching on lately.

More customers enter the shop. A trio of children chattering about the Velocirapids ride.

"Can we go again? Please, Aidan!"

"No, seriously! I'm gonna barf if I go one more time! You guys can go without me."

"Fiiiiiiiine. Oh my gosh guys they're selling Darryl lunch boxes!"

"Aww," Colette says softly. "Darryl lunch boxes!"

"Darryl lunchboxes," Edgar agrees. "Can't blame them."

After a few minutes, the kids come to the counter. They're buying a fair amount of stuff — neat, gum! — says one of them, reaching for a few sticks of BBGum. Sale number four.

"Darryl lunchboxes, nice!" Colette comments as Edgar scans the items. The kids smile politely. She clears her throat. "Double-barrel Darryl, for the win!"

"Whoa!" One of them exclaims. "You can do the voice!"

"Yes, she can," Edgar says. "Show them your Squeak impressions."

She produces the happy Squeak sounds, and then a sad Squeak sound, and the kids gasp. It makes her feel like a hero.

"That's sooo cool!" The one wearing a cap says, before trying it himself. The others laugh.

"Who's your favorite brawler?" Colette asks.

"Darryl, for sure," answers the tallest one. "He's just a goofy pirate! Plus, I love the Double Barrel ride."

"Ooooh, that's a good one," Colette agrees. "Y'know, Darryl has these really cool betta fish! He has this neat aquarium. They're blue and red and have the prettiest fins."

"Oh wow! I have three angelfish too. Real pirate behavior, methinks!" Tall Kid grins.

"Real pirate behavior is stealing," Edgar mutters, and Colette elbows him.

"My favorites are Brock and Belle," says the Cap Kid. "They're just so cool."

"Aw, they areeee!" Colette says. She passes the last of their purchases to Edgar. "Did you know that Brock's favorite number is four? Ooh— he also always has a jug of hazelnut coffee in his rocket tube. Homemade, plus seasonal variations."

"Neat!" The kids giggle. "I should get a rocket tube too," Cap Kid proposes, "So I can tell my mom it's for my drinks. What do you mean rockets? It's just juice!"