Chapter Nineteen

The Brothers

The Celestial Realm

"Why can't we tell her what she needs to do?" I asked the moment I was alone with the First Brother, just after she was granted another chance.

We were in the highest of the seven floors inside the Brothers' personal quarters, a fortress made of glass that shone like pearl, and towered against the constant brightness of Heaven's Glory. It was a celestial work of genius in the midst of Heaven's grandeur and the only place we had to call our own. None of the choirs intruded. Not even He ventured near often, though He needn't be seen to be present.

"It has been forbidden. The Sisters were very specific. The girl must find her way on her own. Nobody—not any of us, her parents or her friends—will assist her when the cycle truly ends."

"Then I am not needed." My petulance was ill-advised and unwarranted.

The advice I'd interjected had been out of line. I knew, as each of my Brothers did, that it had been wrong to tell her about her choices. I was grateful that this Brother, the only one to surpass me in age and power, didn't hold me accountable. He was known best of all for his judgement, more so than any of us. If the girl didn't need to be in the presence of my power—the ability to make those around me discover their true potential—the First would have been ideal for the assignment to protect her as the one who ferried souls after their physical death.

"You should go back soon. It will begin again in a few moments." He didn't look up from the crystals that we'd used for voice modulation while she'd been here. It was a disguise made so that we could all speak without further confusing her. I hate it.

The first floor of our lodgings was open space without rooms and doors—a field of cloud which the rest of our home was lifted off of by invisible pillars. It was often used in times like this, aptly deemed to be the 'in-between' place for life and death. We could view it without being seen from this room. There were nine rooms on the top floor: seven bedrooms, a meeting room, and the seeing room where we were now. There was no need for washrooms or a kitchen, though they could be manifested at will if desired.

"I have time before I have to appear again."

I stepped forward to the waterfall of cascading clear blue water down an even bluer wall, a looking glass of sorts where I could watch her return from the beginning at a distance. It was where we—all seven Brothers—were able to see the first floor of our home while we were perched on the bench across from the wall as we used the crystals to mask the differing voices speaking to her.

I ran my hand through the cool water and asked, "Why was she granted another chance?"

"You wanted it." He raised his eyebrow at me and offered a rare wry smile of humor.

"I never want humans to die. It produces sadness and a profound lack of faith in its wake. Grief doesn't leave room for understanding. Since you ferry the souls, I'd think you would feel the same."

"You've grown close to the girl."

The First Brother joined me at my side and watched the girl merging with her past form during dinner with her parents. It was cruel to make her experience it over and over, but necessary. At least, it was the only way for her to gain what the Sisters said was needed: experience.

"Inevitable, don't you think, considering the circumstances." I cheered inwardly to see how well she adapted to the confusion of joining with herself while conscious.

"The Sisters have specific instructions on how to handle the girl. We can't openly help her in any way unless it is to protect her from unforeseen harm. We can't give her hints or tell her anything."

"I'm sorry if I put you in a position to defend our role. It felt obvious. I know I didn't say anything that she wasn't already thinking," I said, knowing that he was referring to my advice regarding her choices before we'd sent her back.

"Perhaps, but what's obvious to someone as timeless as us is not always so apparent to one her age. Or one of her kind—sometimes humans don't have an open mind. They do not tend to accept fantastical occurrences despite evidence of its existence. The thought had come from her, but it had been discarded until you confirmed it." He watched me with unblinking eyes.

"It won't happen again."

I removed the image as she began to prepare to bathe. I wasn't human, but I still had the anatomical parts of a man, complete with the desires and appreciation for the female form. It felt wrong to watch, even when doing so was part of our duty.

He raised an eyebrow at my reaction, studying me with a disapproving eye for signs of impropriety. "This girl is said to be able to have the ability of a sensitive, with an unwavering sense of right and wrong, but she keeps sacrificing herself for others."

"The first wasn't a sacrifice," I reminded him.

"Wasn't it?" He raised his eyebrow at me. "She knew she was dying and could have appealed to her captors, yet she remained silent, hoping her death would bring justice to others."

He made a good point. I regretted not having seen it. After seeing the strength of her character over the last week, I wished I had taken the time. Something within me screamed that I should have put forth the effort. It would have been beautiful—her bravery, not her death.

"Are you questioning the task we were charged with?"

"No, of course not," I said, not sure that was true, but confident enough that it hadn't become a lie. I cleared my throat and turned away to examine the wall behind the bench. "I know you would have judged her on the facts if she'd chosen that path."

"Every time this girl dies, she is sacrificing herself, Brother," he continued, ignorant to my inner confliction. "She sacrificed herself for her friend this time. The first time she sacrificed herself for justice, a lesson that others could learn from."

"I see that," I said, starting to lose my patience for the first time in... I didn't know how long. Sucking in a deep, calming breath, I add, "I'm just saying that the outcome doesn't alter her goodness."

"Everyone makes choices that they think are right, even when they are wrong."

"Yes, and that's because of their perception. This is different. She is different. We can see the light in her."

I should ask to be removed from duty.

Instead, I looked to the left of the bench to the window. The glass was clear looking out but tinted against eyes wanting to see in. Its arched pane crisscrossed like vines formed from pure elephant tusks down its center to complete four sections. The glow from our home was a reminder of the goodness I saw in the girl. It wasn't just being in the same realm as her, not when she hadn't been present. Even when she wasn't visible for me to see there, I was here, watching from afar. It felt like it was the driving force of the breath my mortal form required. The First was right: I was too close to the girl. It skewed my ability to perform the task I had been charged with completing, but I couldn't form the words to have myself removed.

"She received another chance because the Sisters ordered it," the First finally said, breaking the silence, though I didn't look to him to see the judgement his expression would reveal. "She can strategize for possible future events. It is vital for her to learn how on her own."

He turned and walked away.

Waiting until the fall of his steps faded, I turned, watching the open door for a moment, and then sighed. I sat and returned my gaze to the cascading water, willing the images to resume now. Her bath was complete. The desire I had for her to succeed went deeper than the generic love I had for humans, but I couldn't put a name to it without fear of losing everything leading me to this moment. Would I be the first of my brothers to forsake my past to satisfy my present and build my future?

I couldn't deny the connection being in her proximity had created even though we had yet to speak to one another. Maybe it was the feelings that were ingrained into me with my creation? Did I have a choice over how I felt towards humans? I didn't know, I had never been in the situation where I had to watch over one before. All I did know was that love could be an ugly word for my kind.

To fall in love meant falling for love, too tainted to remain in Heaven.