Chapter Eleven

"How was school?" my mother asked, casting her eyes between me and my father as she took a bite of her supper.

The blonde in her hair was darker, meaning it had been 'Spa Day'. That didn't happen a whole lot. Elixir and Royal were separated by one thing: money. If I hadn't gotten a scholarship, I wouldn't have fit in with hand-me-downs and—kill me now—no car. But it meant that they weren't as worried about me as I imagined, or else they would be saving every penny to make tuition payments without a scholarship.

Still, my dad was peeved that I'd skipped, and didn't speak to me unless he had to. Even then, his answers were relayed in monosyllabic grunts of acknowledgement.

Raising my head, I shoved food in my mouth and nodded, my fork dangling in my hand above my plate in case I needed to scoop more in fast. "Fine."

"Anything new happen?"

"New kid... David something." I shrugged and stuffed another forkful of food in my mouth.

If I acted like the new kid wasn't a big deal, he wasn't. I mean, it didn't matter that I couldn't stop thinking about the guy if I didn't tell anyone that was the case. The fact that everything that should be going through my mind wasn't didn't matter. Not if I didn't admit it. Still, I didn't get it. No guy in school had ever caught my attention like this and it didn't make sense—I hadn't even talked to him!

"Where is he from?" My mom leaned forward, interrupting my internal tirade. The laugh lines around her mouth and eyes creased when she smiled, more evident under the bright lighting of the chandelier hanging low over the six-person table.

"Around, I guess." I wish I knew.

"Alyssa, don't be rude," my father warned, and a flash of anger lit his eyes.

At least he is speaking to me. In a black suite and blue-and-white striped tie, he was still dressed in office clothes. I knew skipping class wasn't just about rules for him—it jeopardized my scholarship. Without that, our comfortable living wouldn't be so easy. I understood, on some level, much more now than the first time around.

"I'm not being rude," I defended, setting my fork down on my plate to meet his gaze head-on. "David told everyone that. He's from around, as in all over? Mr. Tinsley made him introduce himself to the class."

"Mr. Tinsley?" My mother sat back in her chair, beaming at my father. "So, you went back to class? You see, Joe? I told you she'd do the right thing."

"She shouldn't have skipped class in the first place." He levelled his gaze at my mother and took another bite of chicken, spearing it without even looking at his plate. He pointed his fork at her in the air towards me and added, "That would have been the right thing to do."

I would love the opportunity to see their high school transcripts. How many classes had they skipped when they were sixteen? At least I had a reason for doing it, other than free love or rock bands, or whatever decade they swung with. Swing dancing? I bet they were pros with The Twist, though they didn't seem old enough for that. Maybe it's what they'd made fun of their parents for, before becoming just like them.

"The class should be banned from mandatory study," I muttered.

My father lowered his water glass and glared at me. "It's important for teenagers to learn the facts of life, Alyssa. It prepares them against being taken advantage of."

"Oh, please, Dad." I rolled my eyes and pushed my plate away. "All the girls who plan on slutting around already are. We all know about this crap, and Mom had that talk with me like, seven years ago."