Chapter Thirty-Six

I leaned on the hood of my car, using my elbows for support, and watched the main doors to the school. It seemed like every student had managed to find their way into the bright sunny day once the final bell rang, except for David. Despite what he said, he was still getting lost inside the halls, and if I didn't stay within viewing distance, he probably wouldn't find me.

My tan was going to rival his if he didn't hurry.

"Hey."

A yelp escaped my lips, quick but sharp. I looked right and left, and then jumped, twisting in the same motion to confront who pinched my waist from behind. David's eyes crinkled with laugher as I glared. He dodged as I tried to swat him, and my hand swiped through air.

"Dude, seriously? My parents would totally ground me again if you end up giving me a freaking heart attack! Where were you?"

His face split into a smile and my heart began to flutter. I dropped my hands. Rain, sun, snow... I bet it all looked good framing him. Maybe he had pictures? Like a scrapbook or something that parents kept so they can embarrass their teenagers whenever they begin dating someone new.

"I wasn't lost this time. At least, not inside the school." He laughed as I rolled my eyes and raised his eyebrows as he leaned forward to draw a wide make-believe circle in the air between us with his finger to imitate circling the school. "I left through the side door and wound up having to lap the building before finding the parking lot."

"I hate you."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Go back inside so I can strand you here."

"How about I go back inside so I can sneak up on you again? That bottom lip you're pouting with can getter bigger, I think. It's cute." He reached out to tap it and I knocked his hand away, but it was impossible not to smile.

"It's not cute." I folded my arms and bit my lip between my teeth, which made my brow furrow.

David laid his arm across my shoulders and looked down into my face. "I'm sorry for scaring you—sort of." He nudged me towards the car but had to try three times before I allowed my feet to move. "Can we go eat now?"

"We're going for supper tomorrow." I shook my head, slapped my palm against his flat stomach, and stepped away to open my door. "Get in. The arcade sells food if you're hungry."

"Really? You still want to go to the arcade?" He got in on the passenger side and smiled too brightly, looking up under hooded eyes as he buckled his seatbelt. "How can I change your mind?"

"Hmm." I pinched my lips together. "Sorry, but you can't." I looked forward and tried to concentrate on driving, and said with more determination than I felt, "We are going to the arcade."

He didn't say anything as I pulled into the line of vehicles waiting to leave school. I hated traffic. It always amazed me that cars weren't wrapped around one another during the lunch and after school gong show. The gray pavement of our parking lot was so riddled with skid marks from the idiot boys pulling donuts, it was a miracle there'd never been an accident, not even a fender-bender. The only real mishap was when Mr. Tinsley shot me, and that didn't count—it hadn't even happened.

Besides, murder wasn't an accident.

"So." David turned in his seat to look at me, a half-smile playing on his lips, just as the line of cars in front of us began to move. "Which arcade are you taking me to? I looked them up this afternoon and we have two to choose from."

Who prepares to go to an arcade? Trying to keep my laughter from my voice, I said, "We are going to Tucker's. Freak Out is outdated and too full of kids." I shuddered at the thought of sharing my time with David with a bunch of five-year-old cretins. "You'll like it at Tucker's."