7

Derek paid the check and walked back over to the table. He looked around at the table, tossed a few bills down on its surface and looked to Meredith. "Ready to go?" He asked. His voice was still slightly irritated, but he seemed to be calming down. Meredith made no move to mention Kara or the situation, she only nodded at his question. Derek lifted the little girl from her chair, depositing her with a giggle on the floor beside Meredith, and nodded toward the wheelchair. She moved around it and grabbed the handles, pushing her feet up onto the little bar that was on the back, and Derek pushed the two of them toward the exit.

He got the two of them into the car, lifted the wheelchair into the back of the car, and walked around the side, sliding into the driver's seat. He glanced back at Zoey, who smiled at him from her buckled seatbelt, and they were soon on their way. "Are you sure you're okay with her staying tonight?" Meredith asked Derek, who seemed to be thinking hard about something, his brow furrowed, his eyes focused on the road.

"You asked... and you're mobile... I promised." He replied. "It doesn't matter what I want." He said, his answer short and slightly cold.

"Derek, it's okay if you're not ready." She replied. "You can stay too if you want." She said with a sweet smile, watching his head turn to glance at her. A slight smirk rose on his face as he shook his head.

"You know I can't do that..." He said with a laugh.

"I know, I know... the arrangement." She said, almost sarcastically as she looked out the window.

"Don't look at me... this was your idea." He said, chuckling at her sigh. "You said that it would be best if we dated for a while... to see if things work out between you and I. You wanted to be independent, Meredith... I get it." He shrugged.

"But now I'm asking you to stay, and you won't?" She said softly, watching as his eyes met hers.

"I shouldn't." He replied. "It's not... it wouldn't be..."

"I get it." She nodded, sighing softly.

"You are stronger now... and I told you that as soon as you were able to push the wheelchair on your own, she could stay with you." He replied.

"What about you? Are you going to be alright?" She asked, genuinely concerned about him, her eyes watching him carefully as he nodded thoughtfully.

"I will be fine... I am a grown man... She's your daughter, Meredith... the day had to come eventually where I have to sleep a night without someone else in the house." He said, giving her a supportive smile, though she could see right through his tough demeanor. She could tell he was hurting and concerned, but he was giving her this opportunity to be independent, to care for her daughter on her own, to be a mother. "I will pick her up tomorrow afternoon... after your therapy session." He said, watching her nod her head, looking at his eyes, she smiled slightly, watching as he pulled the car up into a parking space at her apartment complex. He looked back at the little girl as she smiled excitedly. "We're here..." He said with a smile as the little girl grinned.

"Yay! Mommy's house!" She said excitedly as Derek smiled at Meredith and jumped from the car. He went around to the back of the car and pulled the wheelchair out, rolling it around the side of the car, he noted that Meredith had already opened her door and was sliding out of the seat.

"Meredith... Mer, be careful." He said as she sighed, giving him a weary look.

"Derek, if you don't let me try to do things, then I can't get stronger." She said softly. "I need to try things."

"Yes... and then you do a face plant in the parking lot, and get all scratched up... and I'm left to tell people... 'well, she tried...'" He said with a head shake. "We'll try things like walking over something soft... like a mattress or a rug..." He said, watching her smirk at him. He shook his head and laughed as he helped her into the wheelchair. "Get that thought out of your mind, young lady..." He said as she laughed out loud.

"You're the one that said it." She laughed as he opened the back door and Zoey hopped out happily.

"Alright..." He said as he nodded toward the sidewalk, the little girl hopped in front of him and led the way to the apartment.

They reached the apartment and Derek helped them both inside, turning the lights on as they entered, he stood awkwardly beside the door. "Okay..." he said with a soft sigh as he watched Zoey run over to the couch and climb over the cushions the look at him over the back. "You... be good." He said as she smiled back at him. "You..." He said, glancing to Meredith. "You be good too..."

"We'll be fine, Derek... it's past her bedtime anyway." She said softly as he leaned down and kissed her lips softly.

"I love you." He whispered, feeling her nod against him as she leaned her forehead against his.

"I love you." She said softly, turning her head to Zoey, who hopped from the couch and ran to him, letting him scoop her up in his arms.

"Be good for your mama... and I'm just a phone call away if you need me..." He said as she nodded her head and accepted the hug from the little girl. "I love you."

"Love you too, DD." She said with a smile as she wiggled in his arms and ran back toward the couch, flopping onto her back as he laughed.

"Alright... I'll see you ladies tomorrow afternoon..." He said, glancing to Meredith. "Remember... she doesn't like thunder... darkness... and if she..."

"She'll be fine, Derek." Meredith reassured as she rolled herself forward and pushed at him. "Go on... she'll be fine..." She said as he glanced to the little girl and stepped toward the door.

"You're sure?"

"We've gone through this a million times, Derek... she's going to be just fine." Meredith reassured. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He whispered, taking another step back. "I'll see you tomorrow." He said softly.

"Bye, DD!" Zoey exclaimed, watching the door open as he hovered for another moment.

"Bye, princess..." He said softly, stepping out of the door, he closed it with him on the other side. The apartment was very quiet as soon as he left, the awkwardness in the air as Meredith and Zoey sat together quietly. Meredith looked to the little girl, lying on the couch thoughtfully with her eyes to the ceiling. She glanced to the door as a wave of panic began to rise. She was alone with her little girl... for the first time since they had been reunited, she was alone, overnight with her daughter. She felt a lump in her throat, rising as she listened to the sound of Derek's footprints as he walked away from the apartment, the sound of the door closing in the distance, and the car starting. She then swallowed the lump, and took a slow deep breath.

He was brave, and tried his best to instill that bravery into the princess... The queen had sounded so sure of herself, so grown up, so much better since her trance, and it broke his heart to leave them both on their own. He picked up his pride, put it in his pocket and left that evening, knowing in his heart that if something ever happened to either one of them... he couldn't go on living. But danger was few and far between, and the big bad wolf had been caged.

"Um..." She whispered. "So... what do you want to do, sweetheart?" She asked as she smiled at the little girl, watching as her eyes suddenly turned to terrified.

"I... I want DD!" She exclaimed suddenly.

"Zoey?" Meredith whispered.

"No!" She exclaimed as she ran toward the door. "Come back, DD!" She exclaimed. "Come back! Don't leave me here! Don't leave me here all alone!" She exclaimed, pounding on the door as Meredith felt her heart drop into her stomach, as she suddenly realized that this was going to be the longest night of her life.

Though that didnt mean that Princess Floyd was above crying wolf...