The Hack

I rush home as fast as I can, carefully making my way past the creaking steps leading up to our apartment, passing the the shouts coming from nearby neighbours arguing and grimacing at the new hole in the wall a floor below my apartment.

I finally make it to the front door, unlocking it as quickly as I can and rushing in, locking it behind me as I let out a loose breath. Fuck, I hate where I live.

"You look like a drenched rat." A small voice says from behind me, I quickly compose myself and plaster on a fake smile as I turn and see my twelve year old sister sitting cross legged on the couch, a huge bag of cheese puffs nestled between her legs as she watches Vampire Diaries on the TV.

"Thanks. Have you had dinner yet?" I ask her with a pointed look, my motherly instincts taking over as he nods at me.

"Yeah, I had the last of the pasta and mixed it with some cheese and ketchup, yours is in the fridge." She says as I walk over to the sofa and hug her from behind, stealing a cheese puff from her bag.

"Thank you." I earnestly say to her as she tries to shrug me off.

I head to the fridge and pull out the pasta, it doesn't look very appealing but I know my sister tries. Besides, it should be me making her dinner, not the other way around.

Sitting down next to her, I begin to eat as I join her in watching the romance show, eyeing up the dark and moody Damon as I devour the cheesy pasta.

"I have to work late tonight, will you be okay?" I ask my sister, hating the fact that I have to leave her...again.

She nods without looking at me, and I ruffle her hair before putting my empty plate into the sink and heading to my bedroom to get changed.

Once donned in black, I grab my backpack and pack my laptop, a stun gun and a USB, slinging the pack over my shoulder I give my sister one last hug before leaving, and locking the door thoroughly behind me.

I catch a bus that travels around San Francisco to scatter my trace, before getting off in front of a dodgy looking hotel. I book a room for one night, luckily their computer systems are outdated so it isn't hard to erase any evidence of my being here.

Once in the one bed box of a room, I get to work on my laptop, opening a DedSec forum and working from there to get into their system.

Whilst I admire their caution and extensive use or firewalls, I still manage to make my way in. I set a timer on my phone, not wanting to spend too long inside before they release I'm in, and download all their information onto my USB, including all their personal data about the members; Sitara, Marcus, Josh and some weirdo called Wrench.

I curse as I run out of time, regretting that I couldn't install a backdoor, and I close my laptop with a huff, slumping down on the squeaky bed as I stare at the cracked ceiling.

A feeling of panic overcomes me, and I quickly sit up and begin bashing the laptop against the wall, picking up the parts and dropping them in my bag as I rush to leave.

Once outside, I inhale the city air, before beginning my walk around San Francisco, disposing of the little pieces of my laptop in different trash cans, watching my back the whole time.

I have a strange feeling this was a terrible idea...