The Kind Of Date

We all head to a fast food restaurant and my sisters eyes light up since I usually can't afford to treat her to this kind of food.

"Can I go pick a table?" She asks excitedly which makes me smile, I give her a nod and she runs off.

"She's like a hamster on coffee." Wrench jokes, musing fondly of my sister.

"Yeah, you should have seen her when she was younger, it was like a non stop dance party, she was obsessed with making up these little performances for me." I reminisce before it's our turn to order.

"I'll pay since it was my idea." He cuts in before I can grab my phone. I narrow my eyes at him and childishly stick my tongue out, which makes him laugh.

We head to a table in the corner of the restaurant where my sister sits colouring a sheet of paper with some crayons, I'm glad she's actually acting like a kid for once.

"Mind out small biscuit." Wrench says as he places down the tray of food.

"Small biscuit?" My sister scrunches her nose in confusion, looking at me for an examination.

"It's nothing." I wave off with a smile.

Wrench surprises me by taking his mask off again, but not before deactivating all nearby security cameras, then we all start eating.

"Why'd you have so many tattoos?" My sister asks Wrench, and I give her a pointed look.

"Because I like them." He shrugs, sipping through a straw.

"Why'd you look like someone out of my sisters comics?" She asks, and I cough to smother a laugh.

"Becuase I'm secretly a superhero." He smirks, and I swear my heart flips.

"Why'd-" My sister begins, but I interrupt her. "That's enough, eat your dinner." I say, and she does.

A few minutes of contented silence pass before my sister finally speaks again. "Are you gonna marry my sister one day?"

I feel my face burn as I spluttee, but Wrench bursts out laughing, which makes my sister laugh too.

"Seriously? Why am I surrounded by children." I sigh, shaking my head as I grin with them.

"Ooh she's so in love with you." My sister teases, which makes my grin drop, Wrench looks at me and I quickly avert my eyes, clearing my throat.

"Here, why don't you go get some dessert for yourself and us." Wrench kindly says, passing my sister some money from his pocket.

She stares at it before looking at me, I nod and she takes it before grinning and running off to the counter.

"I'm so sorry about her, she's not really got the thing about boundaries." I smile apolgiectally, and Wrench waves it off.

"She's just as cool as her sister." He says, and my smile fades.

"Look, I know it's wrong to pry, but are you sure you're okay?" He asks, and for some reason my eyes well with tears.

I shake my head, not seeing the point of lying to him about this part. "Not really, but I don't have a choice but to get my shit together." I say as my sister comes back carrying a cake. A literal whole cake.

"I'm gonna make sure you're both safe, no matter what." Wrench murmurs, putting his tattooed hand on mine and squeezing.

"Thank you." I whisper, my eyes darting to his lips and back up again. Wrench licks his lips and leans in, but my sister "Ahems."

"Why on Earth did you buy a whole ass cake for?" I ask her incredulously as she pulls three forks from her pocket.

She shrugs, putting two on the table as she digs in to the cake.

Between the three of us we all somehow eat the whole cake, laughing and talking about random things until it gets dark outside and my sister yawns.

"We should get going." I say, and we all get up and head outside.

My sister yawns again, trailing behind. Wrench suddenly stops and crouches down. "Come on kiddo." He says, and my sister's eyes light up as she gets on his back.

"I've only done this a few times with my sister." She drowsily says as we all walk.

Wrench gives me a sympathetic smile as my sister clings on to him, he carries his mask as if he's forgotten about it.

"Hold on." He says, before running ahead, making my sister squeal and laugh.

I grin at them, heart full as I see her happy face combined with Wrench's calm relaxed state. Suddenly my smile fades and panic once again claws at me.

Son of a bitch, can I really betray him after all of this?

Even after he's stuck to his word?

Even if I allow myself to admit that I'm falling in love with this stupid, thoughtful porcupine of a man?

Fuck. My. Life.