ch. 1

🜂

'9-1-1, what's your emergency?'

"Hey, there's a girl standing on the edge of a building. I think she's gonna jump!"

'Can you tell me your location and the name of the building, sir?'

"Yeah, it's the Westwood Corp. building on the corner of Coldwell and Vermouth. Please hurry!"

***

The sirens of the ladder truck rang in Bucks ear as he closed the door behind him, the team behind him as soon as they arrived at the Westwood building. Suicide attempts were his least favorite because if they weren't able to be talked off the ledge, there wasn't really anything that they could do. Cap was the same way but it seemed to hit him harder.

From their spot on the ground, they weren't able to see the girl that was called in about but she was definitely up there. There was a pink and purple backpack leaned against a wall next to the stairs that ran up the side of the building.

"Alright, Eddie, Chimney, get an air bag going in front of the doorway to the building, I don't want this going south. Hen, I want you on stand-by just in case with a bag of O2 and a heart rate monitor, adrenaline tends to ramp people up in cases like this." Bobby told them.

The two men in question nodded before jogging over to get the air bag while Hen nodded and said, "On it, Cap."

"Where do you want me, Cap?" Buck asked, practically bouncing up and down. Not cause he was excited about a suicide attempt but because he just had a lot of energy today. Two cups of coffee this morning might have been a bad idea.

Bobby looked almost apologetic before he said, "I need you to go up there and try to talk her down."

"No, Bobby-"

"I need someone to get up there fast and that's you. Go, now." He knew that the captain wasn't trying to be harsh but it was his job.

Buck sighed before making his way towards the stairs.

***

As Buck made it to the top of the stairs, he started hearing voices coming from the roof. His eyebrows pulled together in confusion as the 9-1-1 call had said there was only one person up here, not two.

Climbing up the ladder connected to the stairs and pulling himself up, he saw what was going on. A girl, around the age of 15 - 16 and was probably the girl that was called in about, was close to the edge of the building with her back to it. She was talking to a woman.

He decided to wait and listen to what they were saying.

"Annie, listen to me," The woman started, "I understand how you feel-"

"Oh please, don't start with that adult shit." The teenage girl, Annie apparently, hissed.

"Trust me," She rolled up her sleeves and showed the girl her arms, Buck couldn't see but he assumed she was showing her self harm scars. "I know how you feel."

Annie said nothing in return, probably feeling bad about her tone before, so the woman continued, "I was in a dark place. I felt so uncomfortable in my own body, like I was just looking through someone else's eyes that I hoped that if I...passed, in my next life I would be put in the right body. But I was saved and given a second chance and I met someone that made me feel like me and I got help."