Chapter 18: Former Friend

Damon looked Pandora over, confused. "You know that person?" He asked, completely puzzled. Pandora nodded, covering the mouthpiece as she continued to listen to what the person on the other end was saying. "She's one of the heroes I worked with the most. We were the closest thing you could get to friends while working in that sort of situation, even if I found her insufferable most of the time. She was a lot better than everyone else, but that didn't make her anything close to perfect." She said, letting out a little sigh of exasperation as she listened to whatever it was 'Macy' had to say. "And of course she's the first one to start calling." She added, looking a little put out. Damon bit his lip, trying to decide whether or not he should tell her about the man who had called earlier. Damon was pretty sure it had been her old boss, although he couldn't be positive without knowing the man's name. After a long moment of deliberation as he watched Pandora get steadily more and more annoyed at what she was hearing, he shook his head to himself. It was better if she didn't know. She'd only get worried and upset if she did. "Look, I don't want to do this right now. I know you're not going to believe me, but I'm gonna go ahead and say this anyway; I am perfectly fine. Better than fine. I found out some stuff about myself, I'm sort of just getting into a relationship with someone I really love, I'm separated from you and all the other toxic bitches and bastards I had to deal with for the past five years of my life. And I don't need you or anyone else to change any of that. Just do yourself a favor and forget I ever existed." Pandora said, glancing up at Damon with a little blush as she mentioned that she was in love. Damon smiled, his heart fluttering an irritating amount as he watched Pandora defend herself against whatever assumptions Macy was making. His love for the girl was growing by the second, leaving his senses behind as it swept him up in a whirlwind of gentle chaos.
Pandora listened to the person on the other end of the phone for a few more seconds, before she sighed and dropped the receiver back in its cradle. "She says they're going to send an army out to get me." She said, dejected. Damon wrapped his arms around her and pulled her in close, resting his chin on the top of her head. "Don't worry. I won't let anyone hurt you." He said, squeezing her tightly. Pandora laughed, dryly. "It's not me they want to hurt. I'm not the one who kidnapped a world-renowned hero." She said, burying her face in Damon's arms. "I didn't kidnap you, though." Damon said, perplexed why she would say he had. Pandora nodded. "I know. But no one is going to believe that." She sighed.
Damon smiled, caressing her hair as he reveled in the warmth of her body and the turmoil in his heart as he felt her pulse right up against his shirt. She was such a treasure. Such a precious little gem. And best of all, she was his. "It's alright." Damon said, smiling even wider as Pandora slumped her body against his. "They don't have to believe you for it to be true. And I'm not going to let anything happen to either of us. We'll be happy and safe together, for as long as you want." He said. Pandora laughed a little bit. "Forever sounds pretty close." She said, lifting her head and smiling up into Damon's eyes. Damon grinned back, sweeping Pandora up into his arms and holding her close to him. She let out a little gasp, throwing her arms around his neck to keep from falling as he stared down at her with the intensity of the strongest fire, or the deepest rays of golden sunlight. "Forever could never be long enough." He purred, carrying her back to one of the four chairs and sitting down with her in his lap. "Damon, let me go." she grinned, resting her head on his arm. "I'm way too tall for this."
Damon shook his head. "Nope." He said, playfully. Pandora giggled, reaching up and caressing his face. "What if I were to make you?" She asked, letting her voice drop into a low note that made Damon think of honey and cyanide. He smiled, letting his head drop down enough that he could rest his lips against her cheek. "You're going to be one hell of a villain." He grinned, placing a little kiss on the very tip of her nose. Pandora smiled. "I can't be a villain if I'm can't even get up." She said. "Good." Damon grinned. "That means you're innocent for longer. I like you that way." He said. Pandora chuckled. "Oh, you think I'm innocent?" She asked, a devious look creeping into her eyes. Damon nodded, returning her mischievous lilt with his own deep, devilish purrs. "I would challenge you to make me think otherwise, but I know it's pointless." He laughed. "You're obviously all bark and no bite." He added, leaning down to kiss his lover again. She turned her head as he did, putting her lips right up against his cheek. "You haven't known me long enough to claim that." She whispered. Damon grinned. "If you want me to think anything else, you're going to have to give me some sort of proof first." He purred, placing a gentle kiss on Pandora's neck and pulling her in even more closely, until she would have had to force him to let go of her before she could move. She smiled, tucking herself into Damons arms and snuggling close to him with a sound somewhere between a mouse's squeak and the contented mew of a cat.
Damon mocked a pout. "Mood killer." He muttered, still refusing to let her go. Pandora nodded, looking rather pleased with herself. Damon laughed. "I'm still not going to put you down." He smiled. Pandora sighed, forcing herself to look exasperated. "Well, I guess we'll just have to cuddle, then. What a tragedy." She said, trying not to let herself look as happy as she felt. Damon grinned. "Fine." He sighed, rearranging himself to be more comfortable. "But only for a few minutes." He said. Pandora smiled, slyly. "Only a few minutes."