The beginning

Riley's head was pounding as she slowly regained consciousness. A stabbing pain ran through her body and made her thoughts cloudy. She tried to open her eyes, but her eyelids seemed too heavy, like some alien force was holding her eyes closed. Riley had experienced the odd migraine before, but the feeling that made her body go numb was different. Maybe a stronger migraine than she used to have? Shrouded in darkness, the girl reached for her bedside lamp with her left hand. She felt her way carefully, not wanting to knock over the glass of water on the table that she had put there last night. But instead of her table she felt something soft.

Very slowly the thought came to her that she was no longer in her bed. Her first thought was that she was lying on her fluffy rug. Did she fall off the bed during the night and didn't notice anything? No, this could not be. Surely, she would have hit her head, or would have woken up alone from the height of the fall.

Riley groped her way along the ground and found that the soft fabric she was lying on stretched further than she had first thought. In addition, her hands suddenly felt damp. Had she really spilled her water glass? But since when was her carpet so big? The brown-haired couldn't make sense of her current situation.

Again, Riley tried to open her eyes. The severe headaches were not exactly a support in her plan. But after a few failed attempts, she was finally able to open her eyes. But what she saw made no sense to her. Riley investigated a dark blue sky, which was streaked with clouds. First stars found their way to break through the darkness and conjured up a whiff of fairy tales.

"What the hell?"

She propped herself up on her elbows and pushed her upper body up. Another stabbing pain ran down her neck to her feet. A pained groan escaped her lips, which she pressed together immediately afterwards. Her muscles tensed and Riley couldn't help but push her torso forward onto her legs. The pain seemed to gather in her wrists and lower back. Remaining in that hunched position, Riley sorted her thoughts. How did she get to this place? She only went to bed a few hours ago. Of that she was quite sure. Her heartbeat increased and she felt dizzy again.

"It's all just a dream...It's just a dream!" She whispered softly to herself and began to rock her body back and forth slightly to calm herself.

Riley didn't know how long she stayed in that position. But the rising cold and the low rumble of an approaching thunderstorm tore her out of her emotional freeze. She cocked her head slightly and surveyed the place where she was. Large stones surrounded the spot where she had been sitting for several minutes. On closer inspection, the stones formed a circle, which was accompanied by a smaller stone circle inside. Her eyes darted around. Riley focused on the grass that she had recently mistaken for her rug.

"Stupid me..." Her lips curled into a grin.

Riley's gaze shifted from the grass to her clothes. She was wearing her favorite white sneakers, but they were covered in dirt. She kept looking up at herself and had thought she found herself in her sleep clothes. But instead, the young woman wore blue jeans and a gray sweater.

She certainly didn't go to bed with that. Looking more closely at her clothes, Riley noticed that her jeans were torn in several places. The dirt from her shoes also found its way onto the rest of her clothes.

Sitting up straight now, Riley gently ran her palms down her torn pants and hissed when she caught a deep scratch under her right knee. She pulled her hand back out of reflex and looked at the blood smeared on her palm.

The thought that this was all a dream seemed more and more absurd.

Riley lifted her gaze from her hand and looked around again. Somewhere there had to be a clue as to how and why she came here. Her gaze lingered on a stone pedestal in the center of the stone circle. This stood a few meters in front of her feet and looked like a table. Against her dizziness, Riley tried to get up, using the table as a help. Her weight was now almost entirely on the stone center. Her body swayed slightly, but she stood. That was already a success. From her current position, Riley surveyed another large part of the landscape that surrounded her.

Behind her was a waterfall and the beginning of a forest could be depicted on either side of the stone circle. In front of her was a large expanse of grass.

"I doubt there is a bus stop near here", she said to herself and almost laughed in panic. "Your sarcasm doesn't help you now...". She sighed.

Her head still felt dizzy, but she was slowly adjusting to her upright position. But her thoughts would not leave her alone. Many questions formed in her head, none of which she had an answer to.

Where am I?

What happened?

How did I get here?

And more importantly, how do I get back home?

Her thoughts literally raced, and the panic crept out again. Riley was about to throw up, but her nausea was interrupted by fear when she suddenly heard a crack. Followed by two voices.

A few seconds later, two people stood in front of Riley, staring at her in confusion. The boy had brown hair that appeared unkempt. He was wearing a black leather jacket, white shirt, and black jeans. The girl, on the other hand, had tied her hair in two pigtails. She wore a colorful sweater and blue jeans. But something bothered Riley about her appearance.

It seemed like her eyes were glowing purple.

"Who are you?" the young man asked skeptically. He looked Riley up and down and brought his gaze back to her face. Riley was still surprised by the sudden appearance of the two that the words stuck in her throat. Her fear didn't make the whole situation any easier.

"Don't be rude, Riv! She's scared.." The girl interrupted. Riley focused on her and tried to ignore the guy on her right who continued to stare at her.

"My name is Riley." It was just a whisper. But it was apparently loud enough. Because Riven's body language relaxed. Riley looked down.

"Nice to meet you Riley. My name is Musa and this is Riven." Musa pointed to Riven and took a step forward. Now that she was closer to Riley, she could tell her eyes weren't playing tricks on her. Musa's iris were really purple.

Musa was almost next to Riley. "You seem confused. Are you okay? How did you come here?" Musa's voice sounded worried. But Riley didn't have the answers to the questions, although she wished she did.

"I..I don't know. When I woke up, I was lying here." Riley pointed her hand to the spot on the grass next to her and exhaled audibly. Now Musa's features showed that she was worried. She looked at Riven, who also looked at her with wide eyes. He shrugged his shoulders.

"I think it's best if we take you to Headmistress Dowling", suggested Musa. Riven nodded in agreement and asked: "Are you able to walk?"

"I think so...", answered Riley. But before she could take a step forward, Musa had already put her arm over her shoulder. She smiled encouragingly at Riley and suddenly radiated a sense of calm and serenity. Riven moved to the other side of Riley, making sure she really didn't fall over.

"Thank you", whispered Riley. The three of them started walking. Riley was still wondering, where they were going. But after a few more steps, she recognized a huge building on the horizon. It was a white castle, which looked just like a fairy tale. But what kind of school was in the middle of nowhere?

__

"How could you lose her?" An angry man's voice rang out in the darkness. "She didn't know about her powers, and you let her escape?! You are a disappointment!" The words echoed. The rain began to pound against the windowpane. Larger and larger drops fell from the sky, covering the sudden silence in the room. Nobody dared to answer. A lightning followed without further ado and lit up the room brightly for a few seconds. Three young women faced their master, who was still raging through the room, raging with anger.

"We will bring her back." The one in the middle began to speak. Her white hair was tied in a tight ponytail that reached down to her hips. A devilish grin was reflected on her lips. She wouldn't be Icy if she didn't already have a plan to get the girl back.

"I hope so for you. I won't be so nice next time." With these words, the man left the room.

"Darcy, Stormy... We must pay a visit to the little Alfeans." The grin on her face grew bigger.

Another lightning pierced through the darkness.