Without Villains There Would Be No Heroes

The situation in Farah's office was hectic and confusing. Riley's sudden entrance hadn't just surprised Farah. Ben and Saul also tried to clarify the situation, but that only got everyone talking at once. Riley knew this behavior all too well. As soon as people felt caught, the words just gushed out of them. But Riley wasn't listening to the many words. She unconsciously stared into the headmistress's hazel eyes, lost in her own thoughts. Maybe the situation wasn't that bad, and they were talking about something else... But who was Riley kidding? It was clear. The reaction of Farah and the two men, the packed bags in the room, the talk of a dead body. It all came together. Riley felt like she was underwater. The muffled voices of the adults in front of them penetrated her ear, but she couldn't really understand them. Her eyes practically drowned in tears, blurring her vision. Her breathing quickened, she felt like she was drowning.

"Riley...", was the first thing the young woman noticed. All the noise in her mind stopped. The two men didn't make any more noise either, but only looked at Riley with regret. "Please sit down." Farah Dowling pointed with her filigree hand in the direction of the well-known sofa, on which Riley had already taken a seat last night. Her gaze wandered briefly over the leather sofa and immediately returned to Farah. Riley made no move.

"Please..." Farah's voice grew a little louder, more assertive. It was no longer a request, but rather an order. But with Riley still rooted to the spot, Farah took a step forward and stretched her arms out to the young fairy, intending to gently grab her arms and push her towards the sofa.

But Riley took a step back and just shook her head. She held up her arms in a defensive stance. "I don't need your help!" She said coldly. „Tell me what happened!" Riley's watery eyes sought answers in Farah's. She fixed her gaze on the woman in front of her, ignoring Ben and Saul who had retreated into the background.

Farah took another step towards the young fairy. She was lost on words. She'd often had such conversations as a soldier, but when she saw Riley, it seemed harder than ever. How could she tell such a fragile being that from now on she was all alone in this world? A second time, she stretched her arms out to the brunette, who avoided her again, just shaking her head. It hurt Farah that she didn't want to accept their help.

Farah turned to Ben and Saul. "Could you give us a moment?" Ben was the first to leave the office after a silent nod. Saul hesitated for a moment. But Farah's intense gaze told him that it wasn't a question on her part. Saul also left the office and closed the door behind him. Riley had watched the two leave. She wanted to storm out the open door and never go to that shitty school again. She wanted to leave everything behind and finally wake up from this nightmare. But now here she was, tears streaming down her face, standing in an office from a school of fairies. Her only relative was gone. What was left for her now?

Farah turned back to Riley and could see that the girl's heart was broken into a thousand pieces. "Riley, I –" Farah was about to ask Riley to sit on the sofa again. But when their eyes met, Riley couldn't help but throw herself into Farah's arms. It was all too much for her. Farah embraced her and hugged the young fairy. Her head rested on the older woman's shoulder, staining the dark green dress black with tears. Riley sobbed incessantly. Neither of them said anything. Once in a while Farah gently stroked her head to show her that she wasn't alone, even if it didn't seem like it at first. They stood like that for several minutes before Riley calmed down and backed away from the Headmistress.

"Sorry." Riley whispered in a hoarse voice, finally sitting down on the sofa behind her. The sudden absence of Farah's body heat was felt directly and the fairy felt the cold spread through her body.

"You don't have to be sorry, my dear," said Farah softly. "There are times where everyone searches for comfort in someone else's arms." The Headmistress gave her a slight smile before she turned to her tea table and poured two fresh fruit teas. She handed one of the mugs to Riley and sat down next to her. She placed her cup on the table in front of the couch and turned her full attention to Riley. Riley, on the other hand, absently stared into her teacup and watched the small bubble on the reddish tea twirl in the cup.