Chapter 3 - Safe

[Cat's POV]

Rough, desperate lips trail down my spine. I try to focus on the hand covering mine beside my face, the pillow under my cheek, the other hand grazing up my thigh...

"Caterina." Enzo sighs and sits up over the back of my thighs, his hands moving to rest on my back.

"What's going on? You aren't here," he says.

I huff into the pillow and lean my head to look at him as much as possible. "Sorry, I don't know what's up with me."

He frowns and moves off me, collapsing to his side of the bed. I turn on my side, pulling the sheets with me over my chest. I schooch closer to his side, resting my head on his bare chest, my hand running along his toned stomach.

"Busy day," I mumble and kiss his chest.

"Did something happen?" He asks, his hand around my waist pulling me tightly against him protectively... or possessively, I'm not sure.

"I was hoping to use easier methods with the Lowe building deal, that's all."

He hums lightly as his fingers move through my hair.

"I warned you he would be difficult to reason with," he says and I fight the urge to roll my eyes, even if he can't see them anyways.

"I don't want a lecture from my husband."

He squeezes my waist.

"I don't want to give one," he says. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."

I sigh and roll off him and onto my stomach, my head on my hands crossed underneath my cheek so I can see him.

"I'm not afraid of violence," I remind him and he turns to his side to face me, "I just would prefer to save it for people that deserve it. The old man has a family to feed and support."

"Your offer was more than he could ever earn," Enzo says and I nod.

"But it isn't what he wants to support them with. 'Blood money. Dirty money. Crime money.' He wants no part of it."

"Caterina, so many of our world use what we do for much worse. Our organizations only use force when needed."

I look into his eyes.

"We both know that isn't true," I say so quietly, it's almost a whisper.

He scowls. "Do we cut off heads and kill family lines?" He asks, equal parts frustration and disgust.

"We are far from good people, Enzo." I sigh. "And that's okay with me. We made our beds."

He looks like he wants to say more, but changes his mind. "Then what is the issue tonight?" He asks instead, sighing.

I shrug. "I can accept the fate of who I am and at the same time be upset at it."

"Ace won't kill the old man, Cat."

I try not to flinch at the name coming out of Enzo's lips. I still haven't shaken what I heard Sebastian say earlier.

"Enzo?" I say as I sit up, pulling the sheets with me and securing them under my arms.

He sits up too, leaning against the headboard.

"Yes, princess."

I gulp and look up to him. "Do you think Stefano is safe here?"

He flinches back at my insinuation. "Why wouldn't he be?"

"When is it going to come?" I ask. "Tomorrow? Next month? Next year? When he is ten? Thirty?"